REFLECTOR: Ouch

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 8 09:55:26 CDT 2013


I have bought and sold several aircraft through the years, and what the state of Arkansas does, is make the seller responsible for collecting the sales taxes from the buyer. The only way to get around this is if you deliver the aircraft to the to the new owners state, and the money exchange takes place in his state. You should have the seller call his MD taxing office and ask all of the examples posed by the collective. I suspect that there is some way around the issue, the problem is, will they tell him what he needs to do to help you get around the tax. When I sold my last aircraft, I just made it clear with the new buyer, that if he wanted to pick up my aircraft, he had to agree to tell the state of Arkansas, if they called, that I delivered the aircraft to his state of Texas, or he would have to pay me the Arkansas sales taxes when he picked the aircraft up. When the State of Arkansas called me to see why I hadn't sent in the sales taxes, I
 told them that I delivered my aircraft to Texas, and other than the sigh that I heard on the phone, I never heard another word on the issue.
 
Andy Ellzey
N151AJ
7.5 hours into Phase One testing.  


>________________________________
> From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org> 
>Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:17 AM
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ouch
>  
>
>
>Something here just doesn't make sense (although the standard of "never stand between a government and money" does apply).
>
>You live in NM (not sure how the taxing of aircraft purchases works there). You bought the plane in WI.  The fact that the owner lives in MD seems irrelevant. In every purchase I've been involved in (and read about), Tax is only due in the state the purchase took place in and/or the state the owner lives in. For example, when I bought my kit, I had to pay tax in FL because I took delivery down there. Once I got the plane to IL, I had to pay the difference between FL tax and IL tax.
>
>I really can't see how MD has a claim. 
>
>I'd be inclined to tell MD to pound sand... Just don't plan on flying the plane there unless you change the N-number. :-)
>
>
>On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM, <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
>
>Damn good answer Scott!  However, the Maryland rule looks like there are no "fly away" privileges? I'm guessing that means they don't want you to fly it somewhere else to sell it... That way the can still rob you.  
>>
>> 
>>Dennis,  Actually, that makes 4. However, I think we have a buyer for the '42 Cub that we won from that Sweepstakes.  
>>
>> 
>>She found a 1946 Cub, fully restored and finished this year. It has all the upgrades we wanted to add to our '42 Cub, so that it would actually fly better up here. Ours had a C-65.. And although Misty's Son soloed in it a few weeks ago, it can be anemic at our high density altitudes... and with only 12 Gals of fuel... you have to be careful.  
>>
>> 
>>The new one has a C-85 with the O-200 crank & cylinders. This puts us close to 100 HP instead of 65.  
>>Extra wing tank, Float fittings and all new stainless hardware. Metal prop (doesn't look nearly as cool as our wood one.... but they work better). Many things new/rebuilt. Not a show winner... but a 90-95%'er   
>>Still the way we want it.. No extra junk, no elect system, etc.  
>>Best news... I don't have to convert the old one, so I can keep working on the Velocity and our old Cherokee! 
>>
>> 
>>Worst part... Since I got to fly the '42 Cub from Minot ND to Mid Valley Airpark in NM (1005 NM)... She says it is her turn... So she gets to fly it from Maryland to home (1500NM). Can't take that from her now can I... After all, it is Her Turn :)  
>>
>> 
>>
>> 
>>
>> 
>>
>> 
>>
>>
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: dennis.doc <dennis.doc at gmail.com>
>>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>Sent: Wed, Aug 7, 2013 9:13 pm
>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ouch
>>
>>
>>No idea about Maryland taxes, but one thing for sure. Misty must be as nuts as you are about flying. Wow, that makes three ponies in your stable. Post us a photo of her new love.  More importantly, when can I get a ride?
>>
>>
Dennis
>> 
>>
>>
>>
>>On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM, <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>All.  
>>>
>>> 
>>>While at Oshkosh, I learned a valuable lesson and need some input.  
>>>
>>> 
>>>Misty and I, along with a friend Scott were walking the classics section of the airshow. We stopped to look at a beautiful award winner from last year, a Waco UPF7. Scott has always wanted one, and I couldn't help but admire the workmanship.. so we were there for a while. Misty wandered off to look at some more airplanes.  
>>>Next thing I know, I hear her Yelling from way down at the end of a row. So I wander down to see what was up.  
>>>Long Story a little shorter, She basically bought an airplane. Any way I can complain about that?.. Nope. Well I do have lots of work to do around here.. but what is one more airplane to keep running.  
>>>
>>> 
>>>Note to self... She is dangerous with extra spare time at good fly-ins :)  
>>>
>>> 
>>>Here's the part I need real input for. The aircraft is based in Maryland. I discovered that they have a 6% sales tax on aircraft, even though they have no State registration requirements or personal property taxes on aircraft.  
>>>Has anyone bought an aircraft based in Maryland and avoided paying the ridiculous tax to the state, for the privilege of flying it out of there? I have a real peeve about paying money to a State that didn't earn it, just to drag in more revenue so they can waste it.  
>>>
>>> 
>>>Thanks, Hope there is a silver bullet :)   
>>>Now I have to see where to put this thing.  
>>>
>>> 
>>>Back to rigging the Ailerons on the Velocity. Tedious!   
>>>
>>> 
>>>Kurt   
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>> 
>>  
>>_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html     
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>    
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130808/bc5aaf2e/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list