REFLECTOR: Removing Borrom Winglets
kmis178813 at aol.com
kmis178813 at aol.com
Sat Aug 3 12:57:04 CDT 2013
Jeff
I have flown with and without lower winglets. And both ways fly great at cruise speeds. Although I think the lowers do create drag at cruise, I did not measure how much speed was lost. I was testing to see the slow speed differences. Without the lowers I was seeing a falling leaf effect. Wing goes high, air slides off, wing drops and then the other wing does same thing. Hard to control low and slow but not impossible. Leading edge vortalons almost completely remove the ill effects of the missing lower winglets and make it much better in the pattern. I like the look of the missing lowers and both of my flying machines do not have them. That being said the XL that I have currently under construction will have the lowers. I have built in a skid area just in case the wing gets low and breaks through the bottom edge of air. I will also be using the lowers for camera mounts and future strange ideas.
Ken Mishler
N2087M SUV FG
N173EX 173 Elite RG
N872KM TXL-5 RG under construction
Sent from my iPad
On Aug 3, 2013, at 12:08 PM, jeff findarle <flynfindarle at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey Ken, How about some advice?
>
> TEAM JEFF,
> Jeff Findarle, GRI & Darin Heckel
> Realtor Realtor
>
> AllStar Realty
> 575 N main St.
> Heber City, UT. 84032
>
> Jeff's Cell 435-503-0514
> Darin's Cell 435-671-3957
> Off. 435-654-9440
> Fax 435-654-9437
>
> Distressed Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!
> Don't Lose it, Sell it!
>
> From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
> To: jeff findarle <flynfndarle at yahoo.com>; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2013 8:38 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Removing Borrom Winglets
>
> Ken Mishler would have good information on that. IIRC, he removed the lower winglets on Tom Martino's old plane.
>
> -Don
>
> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM, jeff findarle <flynfindarle at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all, The Velocity I purchased in March had a Taxi way Gear up, thus removing the bottom winglets. I have the wings off and am in the middle of reinforcing and smoothing out the unpleasing patch job some one made. My question is - Do the bottom winglets really do anything in the form of flying stability, control or lift? I see many Velocity pics that do not have them, some have small tiny winglets and it was suggested by one owner to have a small downward winglet to stop the air from sliding off the wingtip. I also quized a close friend of mine who has been flying for American for decades. Many Jets do not have down winglets. Some do however. He felt that the upper winglet should suffice to help in the air flow. I really like the look without a bottom winglet, so if I can keep it that way, all the better. Any response from anyone who had them, then ground them off? Suggestions?
>
> TEAM JEFF,
> Jeff Findarle, GRI & Darin Heckel
> Realtor Realtor
>
> AllStar Realty
> 575 N main St.
> Heber City, UT. 84032
>
> Jeff's Cell 435-503-0514
> Darin's Cell 435-671-3957
> Off. 435-654-9440
> Fax 435-654-9437
>
> Distressed Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!
> Don't Lose it, Sell it!
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130803/8e162536/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list