REFLECTOR: Towing Velocities
David Ullman
ullman at robustdecisions.com
Wed Apr 17 06:49:39 CDT 2013
For a tow point I mounted the front tiedown with bolts through to a backing
plate. I then just put a rope through the tiedown and pull. Later, when I
needed nose weight for balance, I made a lead plate about .75" thick and 12"
dia, epoxied it inside and also ran the bolts through it so the plane is
sandwhiched between the lead and tiedown. The front tiedown is now very
strong and serves as a good tow point.
Last week I was in Phoenix for business and visited Matt Bucko who
contributes to the Reflector. He is now in year 8 and is getting ready to
do the strakes. I visit him every year when at my annual event. He is
making good steady progress. I was reminded of just how difficult it is to
build and finish a Velocity kit. I never dreamt that it would take me as
long as it did and neither did Matt. That said, later in the week I visited
another friend in the area who has a very fast, very expensive certificated
glass plane (I cant remember exactly what make). He was actually jealous of
my Velocity which has the same performance as his plane at a fraction the
cost. Additionally, I can fix or modify mine while he cant legally change a
light bulb on his even though he is a master mechanic (but not an A&P).
David Ullman
N444DX
President EAA 292
541-760-2338
david at davidullman.com
More information about the Reflector
mailing list