REFLECTOR: flight with extra weight
Scott Baker
scottb33333 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 10:35:11 CDT 2013
I'm sure that many, including myself, have flown XL models at takeoff
weights ranging from 2,700 to 3,000 - which are typical GTOW set by
builders of the XL model. Several builders have set higher weights. As
you mentioned, power - delivered in the form of higher horse power and
constant speed propellers - is paramount to acceptable aircraft
performance at these weights. You, as the builder of the aircraft, may
change the operating limitations of the aircraft by a) establishing new
aircraft W&B limitations for the aircraft; and b) placing the aircraft
back into a 5-hour Phase-1 flight test program. Please check your
existing aircraft limitations to see what the FAA requires when making a
"major change". Normally you do not need to ASK the FAA for their
approval to make the change. However you will likely need to consult
with your local FAA FSDO office to seek their approval as to the Phase-1
flight test area boundary. After showing compliance that the aircraft is
safe to fly at the new (higher) GTOW, a log book endorsement releases
the aircraft back into normal operations. I just went though this same
procedure with a Velocity XL-RG. If you do not have Cleveland brakes,
please consider making the change. Slowing a 3000# XL to a stop
following a 85 knot touchdown speed takes more energy than what the
W600XT Matco's normally can provide.
Best,
Scott B.
On 4/14/2013 10:42 AM, velocityxl wrote:
> Did a flight today with a bunch of weight . Plane was loaded to 2600
> lbs boy what a different plane with this much weight. I have been
> flying around mostly with just me in the seat and the plane takes off
> like a rocket ship. Now with the extra 320 lbs it is a whole new
> airplane. Really have to pull back a bunch to get the nose off the
> ground. Lift off was 82 knots and the touch down and roll out was as
> expected a lot longer. I had the accualy use the brakes at the end of
> the run way. Usually I just coast to a stop. I have a fixed pitch prop
> So now i can see why the constaint speed prop starts to pay for its
> self. What weight have others flow there plane with ? I was thinking of
> Getting its weight up to 3000 a nice round number . When i filled out
> the papers with the faa i said its max gross was going to be 2800.
> Is it a big deal to change that to 3000?
>
> Ps I now see where people start to run out of trim. Over the numbers i
> had a lot of back stick. My alerion trim with the timming
> Belt is working very well so far. But auto pilot would be nicer.
>
>
>
>
> Sent from Ron's Samsung tablet
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130414/a9467f63/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list