REFLECTOR: Main Tire Tubes

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 12:24:38 CDT 2013


OK, that makes sense.  I forgot about them but safety wire would prevent 
locking up the wheel like you experienced. I have never heard of this 
happening to anyone else.  You have to be wondering, "Why me".  If that had 
happened at touch down it would have been real serious.  I am going to check 
my bolts before next flight.

Larry Coen
N136LC

P.S.: Your copilot's name isn't Murphy is it?

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:02 AM
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Main Tire Tubes

> I'm talking about part #1 from here:
> http://static.veracart.com/matco/item_pdfs/2412/document1.pdf
> These bolts hold the caliper together.
>
> I saw that there were four different types of Matco tubes, which I think 
> have to do with the stem location.  I was wondering which one I need.
>
> Anyway, I'm on the road this week, and it's too late to get a replacement 
> bolt in before this weekend, so I guess flight testing is out for me 
> unless I can find a replacement bolt from somewhere local.
>
> On 4/10/2013 3:11 PM, Laurence Coen wrote:
>> Brian,
>>
>> Fixed gear=6.00-6, retract=15x6.00-6 tire size.
>>
>> I assume that you are talking about the bolts that attach the axel/brake 
>> caliper to the gear leg.  Mine are standard AN hardware with friction 
>> nuts. The brake disk is attached to the wheel with cap screws (socket 
>> head).  In my install the bolt heads are on the inside of the gear leg 
>> and the nuts are against the caliper mount.  They can be turned around 
>> with the nuts against the gear leg but you still have a bolt retained 
>> with a friction nut and that should retain torque.
>>
>> Larry Coen
>> N136LC
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
>> Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 9:47 PM
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Main Tire Tubes
>>
>>> I need to order some bolts from Matco, and need to fill up at least $10. 
>>> What is the tube that I need to order for the W600XT?
>>>
>>> Speaking of replacing bolts.
>>>
>>> Yes, there is a reason for those drilled socket head screws.  I had one 
>>> of the four screws works its way out into the aluminum wheel.  I was on 
>>> a test flight, the longest one yet at 15 minutes due to high oil temps. 
>>> When I came in for a landing just as I was about to pull off the runway, 
>>> the right wheel seized. I wasn't going very fast, and there doesn't 
>>> appear to be any major damage.
>>>
>>> I had safety wired the disc to the wheel, but not the internal socket 
>>> screws.  When I re-assemble, I'm going to use some Lock-Tite and safety 
>>> wire.  That should keep the screws torqued down. Shouldn't there be a 
>>> lock washer there anyway to maintain torque? Safety wire doesn't 
>>> maintain torque, and the way these screws are used, they are really put 
>>> under a lot of bending forces.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 


More information about the Reflector mailing list