REFLECTOR: CHT update and sealing up the cabin
Geoff Gerhardt
geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:56:49 CDT 2012
Scott,
Where did you find such a thing? Was it a shift boot for a car?
John - I like your idea - pretty simple.
Thanks.
Geoff
Sent from my iPad
On Sep 30, 2012, at 8:43 PM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
> I sealed the nose gear strut with a zippered flexible silicone impregnated boot that clamps to the strut and is bolted to the keel tube.
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: REFLECTOR: CHT update and sealing up the cabin
> From: Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 09/30/2012 05:34 PM
>> Guys,
>>
>> So, I've finally cooled down my hot #3 cylinder. It had been going up to +430F on climb out. Some rather aggressive mods to the intake plenum got it down to 420F max so I turned my attention to a combustion problem. The EGT was always higher than the others and it always peaked first (~20deg before the others). So, I removed the injector, ultrasonicated it in acetone, twirled a drill bit thru it (#72, I think) as well as cleaned and gapped both spark plugs. Took it out today when there was a break in the clouds and did an aggressive climb to 10k' - all CHT and EGT's level. None got above 395F on a full power climb to 10K (it is cool here, tho - ~60F). Once I got to altitude, I was able to go LOP and #3 didn't peak first - they all peaked very close to each other. Nice to have that problem solved.
>>
>> I also piped my oil breather into the exhaust - seemed to work well, no more oil streaks.
>>
>> Because its starting to get cool here, I'm thinking about cabin heat. I've been trying to seal up the cabin, but still have lots of drafts. I've sealed the area between the canard and dog house cover. I'm debating whether to try to seal the nose gear doors. Has anyone found a good solution for that? Also, does anyone know of any rubber bellows to use on the rudder pedal connections to the bell crank? I've been trying to find something used in maybe from a master cylinder of a car, or maybe a clutch linkage thru the firewall. If I can't seal up the nose gear doors effectively, then I'll have to try to seal up the slot the elevator push rod goes thru.
>>
>> Geoff
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> --
> What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'
> Christ Jesus, Mathew 15:11
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120930/4511cc4e/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list