REFLECTOR: Repairs

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Sep 21 22:38:08 CDT 2012


I've thought the same type of approach could be taken with heated brakes 
softening the gear legs.

Epoxy a strip of AL up the side of the gear to more evenly distribute 
the heat, rather than keep it localized in one spot.


On 09/21/2012 08:39 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:
> Lou,
>
> If the extrusion was aluminum you probably wouldn't have the problem.  
> Aluminum radiates the heat away, fiberglass tends to retain it.
>
> I have a spot on my cowl where the exhaust comes really close, less 
> than 1/4 inch.  Use to get paint bubbles on the outside. I ground it 
> out on the inside, glued an riveted a piece of  aluminum right into 
> the ground out spot and now no bubbling...
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Repairs
> From: Lou Stedman <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 09/21/2012 07:21 PM
>> Doug, Your cowl looks just like mine except I have only one pipe on 
>> each side and my pipe ends about 1" inside the exhaust extrusion. The 
>> extrusion is formed completely around the exhaust pipe creating a 
>> pipe within a pipe which has been discussed. There is a very thin 
>> heat shield which is held in place with high temp silicone. I think 
>> my problem is that there is not enough clearance between the exhaust 
>> pipe and the heat shield. Also since the pipe ends about an inch 
>> inside the fiberglass, the air expands as it leaves the pipe causing 
>> it to contact the sides. I normally run an EGT of about 1400 degrees 
>> in cruise. I am not sure what the temp is as it leaves the exhaust 
>> pipe but it has to be 1000 degrees anyway. The aircraft was built by 
>> Dan Maher himself about 23 years ago and I have a feeling this has 
>> been a problem before me. I have repaired it at least twice in the 
>> last five years.
>> *From:* Douglas Holub <mailto:douglas.holub at gmail.com>
>> *Sent:* Friday, September 21, 2012 6:37 PM
>> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
>> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Repairs
>> Mine protrude a little. No bubbling on the cowl.  I put aluminum tape 
>> on the inside of the cowl near the pipes.
>>
>>     ----- Original Message -----
>>     *From:* Lou Stedman <mailto:stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>
>>     *To:* Velocity Reflector <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>>     *Sent:* Friday, September 21, 2012 1:08 AM
>>     *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Repairs
>>     I have two repairs to do to my bird.
>>     First, while I was on a trip this week, I was forced to tie my
>>     plane outside. There was a large storm with high winds that came
>>     through and blew my right rudder so that the bell crank  is now
>>     loose. What is the best way to repair this?
>>     Second, I am getting severe bubbling on my lower cowl, around the
>>     exhaust tube. I am running a straight pipe out both right and
>>     left side. The end of my pipe is about 1" inside the cowl. There
>>     is a metal heat shield applied to the cowl with high temp
>>     silicone. Do your pipes extend out of the cowl and how much
>>     clearance around the pipes do you have? If you have any pictures
>>     I would love to see them.
>>     Thanks for any advice you may have.
>>     Lou Stedman
>>     Velocity SEFG
>>     N7044Q
>>     Olean, NY
>>
>>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     To change your email address, visit
>>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>     Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>     Check old archives:
>>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> -- 
> Prayer is not to be used as a confessional, to cancel sin. Such an error would impede true religion. Sin is forgiven only as it is destroyed by Christ - Truth and Light.
> Mary Baker Eddy
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120921/b69d6db7/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list