REFLECTOR: Overhead approaches
Geoff Gerhardt
geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:36:14 CDT 2012
Guys,
I'm sure you guys have seen this video of a Cirrus doing an overhead
approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdH4zvO9Oo
Looks like a cool way to get into the pattern. I can't tell you what a
smile it puts on my face descend in at 160kts then pull up and drop speed
to enter the pattern after so many years of crawling into the airport
airspace in C172/PA28's. I'd love to be able to do an overhead approach.
What got me thinking about them was this weekend, there was a warbird show
on at our airport (KORH) and as I was approaching the airport, I heard one
of them call the tower for a overhead approach and listened to him call his
initial, break point then cleared to land - very cool. Also, I like the
idea of coming into the airport with all possible kinetic and potential
energy at your disposal in case an engine issue. Long, slow, level entries
into airport airspace always make me nervous.
A couple questions for those more seasoned pilots on overhead approaches:
1) Is it considered douchey to do an OHA at a non-towered airport (assuming
you properly announce)?
2) Can you only approach the airport on the runway heading, or can you come
in from any angle, break and establish a high-bank turn until your able to
enter the downwind?
3) Do any of you regularly use OHA's?
4) Do you usually come in at pattern altitude +500'?
Geoff
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120917/3450c185/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list