REFLECTOR: Expensive (but cool) video

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 20:21:40 CDT 2012


Alex,

Generally, Worcester is pretty supportive of the airport.  Its a relatively
quiet Class D and they're currently trying to land JetBlue.  This weekend,
ORH hosted some WW2 planes (a B-17, B-24, and P-51) - kinda neat to be in
the pattern with them.  I waved to the folks on the flight line for the
show today as I taxied out.

But, funny you should mention the noise.  I talked to a guy I know who
lives close to the airport and I mentioned that I'm now test flying my
plane.  He says, "I know, I hear it all the time."  I didn't realize that
pushers had such a distinctive sound.  He said he went outside first time
he saw it on my first flight b/c it was a different sound and thought it
might be me.

Geoff

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Alex Balic <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>wrote:

> Great perspective shots Geoff – sorry about the case coming loose……BTW (
> half joking ) how long do you think before those new subdivisions on the
> end of the runway will start petitioning to have the airport closed/noise
> abatement procedures implemented?  Seen It before many times…… ****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Geoff Gerhardt
> *Sent:* Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:25 AM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Expensive (but cool) video****
>
> ** **
>
> Guys,****
>
> ** **
>
> How cool would it be to strap a gopro video camera to my nose gear so it
> retracts/deploys with the gear, right?  I found a spot to mount it and made
> it a secure as possible.  After mounting it, I put the plane up on jacks
> and exercised the gear - yep, still retracts/deploys fine.  Time to try it.
>  I have the "wifi backpack" for my gopro, so I can control it from the
> cockpit (turn it on/off, start/stop recording).  Once I got clearance to
> take off, I started recording.  Did a  couple takeoffs and landings, flew
> around for a half hour or so, then headed back to the hangar.  Once I got
> out, I noticed that while the camera case was still nicely attached to the
> nose gear, the camera case had opened up, and there was no camera inside
> it.  Apparently one of my landings wasn't smooth enough and it jarred the
> case open.  I called airport operations (ORH is class D) and told them to
> do a runway sweep.  A few minutes later, one of the airport ops guys came
> by my hanger with the camera in several pieces.****
>
> ** **
>
> You can see how I had it mounted here. ****
>
> http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=573****
>
> ** **
>
> Here's the video I was able to retrieve from the SD card.  You can see
> where the camera case popped open and the camera is just jiggling loose
> inside.  On the next landing, the case must have opened up all the way and
> the camera popped out.****
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE78J4ahlJ4 ****
>
> ** **
>
> I love the whoosh sound the camera made when the nose gear dropped down. *
> ***
>
> ** **
>
> So, if you use a gopro - probably best to put a zip-tie around the case to
> make sure it stays closed - particularly if you mount it in a
> high-vibration place.  I've never had a problem with a gopro mount coming
> loose.****
>
> ** **
>
> I sent the video to gopro's support folks - they gave me 20% off a new
> camera - better than a kick in the teeth.****
>
> ** **
>
> Geoff****
>
> ** **
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120916/66c5203e/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list