REFLECTOR: Shimmy

David Rene Dugas renedugas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:45:13 CDT 2012


Still need brakes but I felt heavy footed because I needed so much less.  It felt like when I was learning tailwheel and was behind the plane.  My foot speed increased and my touch lightened and I was fine.  Once I got to about 30 kts I felt like I had control with rudders instead of the usual 45 kts.  
I will be more concerned and conscientious about tying the nose because I believe wind could now turn the plane more easily.
Rene'

On Sep 9, 2012, at 8:06 PM, John Dibble wrote:

> Rene'
> 
> Do you still need to use brakes for steering during take off roll, or are the rudders adequate?
> 
> John
> 
> On 9/9/2012 4:31 PM, David Rene Dugas wrote:
>> 
>> Just got my Dampier back and mounted. Looks real cute. Easy taxi now. Thought some might wish to zoom in on the tire to see how violent a shimmy can be. All the cross hatching is result of recent mild shimmy. 35# pressure in tire and 15 # of tension measured with a fish gage just before flight. Solo flight, 3/4 fuel, smooth runway. Slight cross wind crab corrected well I thought. 600 hrs in Velocity. 
>> Those who have not had a bad one beware it is violent. Not like a Cessna. 
>> Rene'
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Rene' Dugas
>> Sent from my iPhone4S
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120909/8b3562a1/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list