REFLECTOR: Shimmy
David Rene Dugas
renedugas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:39:56 CDT 2012
Yes the collapsible washers are in place but no real tension. They replaced the brass bushing too in the fork. I don't have the final paper work with me so I don't know but around $600.00. I've replace two front gears for pivot fractures shortly after a major shimmy both times. Both mine were replaced with no other damage and no collapse. I'll try to attach a pic of the latest pivot fracture. I'm hoping this stops that problem. It is much easier to taxi but landing was different. Usually as soon as the nose wheel is down the plane previously was extremely easy to handle since the nose was fairly fixed. Now it is more lively turning more freely right and left than before. Not bad just a new twist (pun Intended).
The "dingus" came in green primer and I painted with a textured black and gray Rustoleum paint for fun. Drilled two 3/16" holes wit a long bit from Home depot and mounted. Velocity mounted the Dampener to the fork.
I like it but need a few more landings to feel comfortable.
Thanks,
Rene'
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1411.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 34766 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120909/2afd2447/attachment-0001.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
On Sep 9, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:
> I see you still have the tension washers installed? Are they now just spacers?
>
> Did you mount the powder coated dingus to the strut flange?
>
> What was the total cost?
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Shimmy
> From: David Rene Dugas <renedugas at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 09/09/2012 03:31 PM
>
>> Just got my Dampier back and mounted. Looks real cute. Easy taxi now. Thought some might wish to zoom in on the tire to see how violent a shimmy can be. All the cross hatching is result of recent mild shimmy. 35# pressure in tire and 15 # of tension measured with a fish gage just before flight. Solo flight, 3/4 fuel, smooth runway. Slight cross wind crab corrected well I thought. 600 hrs in Velocity.
>> Those who have not had a bad one beware it is violent. Not like a Cessna.
>> Rene'
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Rene' Dugas
>> Sent from my iPhone4S
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> --
> Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
> Abraham Lincoln
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list