REFLECTOR: Better roll trim

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 17:04:53 CDT 2012


Rene,

I had actually planned to put heat-shrink tape on the belt at the limits I
wanted it to travel.  That way, when it hit the heat-shrink, the belt would
just slip on the pulley.  But, when I tried it, the belt jumps off the
teeth and will slip on its own either when the spring gets tight enough, or
you give the stick a nudge.  Its actually quite good - enough positive grab
to move the stick, but force on the stick can overcome and the belt will
slip.  If you wanted, tho, you could put heat shrink or file down the teeth
on the belt to limit its travel.

Geoff

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Rene Dugas <renedugas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Geoff,
> What is the failure mode with run away motor or stuck switch?
> Rene'
>
> Sent from Rene's iPad 3.
>
>
> On Sep 2, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Guys,
>
> The parts from McMaster are shown below.  I just picked the longest belt
> they had, since the price didn't go up much per length and I was going to
> cut it, anyway, I thought I'd get one long enough so that I might have a
> second chance if I cut it too short.
>
> Lou, I'm not sure if it stiffens it up that much.  I'm still a new
> Velocity pilot, but it seemed fine to me.  There's quite a range of springs
> in that size, so I suspect you would find one that is effective but not too
> stiff.  Its possible that it would have worked with the original springs -
> I went right to stiffer springs as I found that even pulling the original
> springs with my hand, it was not enough to move the ailerons appreciably
> (and mine move very freely).  But, on the other hand, I moved the spring
> attach point further out the bell crank arm, so maybe in that new position
> the original springs would have worked ok (didn't try the original springs
> in that position).
>
> Geoff
>
>
> 1 1375K39<http://www.mcmaster.com/OrdHist/OrdDtl.aspx?custordid=5624800709111&poeid=0828GGERHARDT#>Mxl And Xl Series Timing-belt Pulley, 1/4" Belt Width, .685" Od, 20 Teeth1
> Each1 0$10.45
> Each $10.452 1679K683<http://www.mcmaster.com/OrdHist/OrdDtl.aspx?custordid=5624800709111&poeid=0828GGERHARDT#>Trapezoidal Tooth Urethane Timing Belt, .080"pitch,trade Sz
> 482mxl,38.5"outer Circle,1/4"w 1
> Each1 0$6.14
> Each $6.14
>
>
> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Lou Stedman <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>wrote:
>
>>   Great looking system Geoff. I have felt mine was ineffective for a
>> long time now. The one concern I have is the effect of the heavier springs
>> on the feel of aileron control. Does it stiffen up the control? If so I am
>> not sure I want that.
>>
>>  *From:* Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
>> *Sent:* Sunday, September 02, 2012 9:34 AM
>> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Better roll trim
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I fixed my left roll tendency by improving my roll trim.  Basically, I
>> replaced the rope/capstan with a timing belt/pulley system which allowed me
>> to use beefier springs.  The roll trim now works very well.  Here's a pic
>> of the roll trim motor fitted with the timing belt pulley.  More info on my
>> website (http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=547)
>>
>> Geoff
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120903/5f44364e/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list