REFLECTOR: Velocity RG Standard (1995) components and stuff

Rich Ervin rich_ervin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:49:07 CDT 2012


Hi everyone,

I have a standard RG which has been in a hangar for many years, and I'm now in the process of trying to get it ready for flying again.

I've done some work already, but a few questions have come up and I'm thinking this may be the best place to ask. My apologies if these answers exist in an archive someplace:

1) There is a white powder on the surface of my firewall, facing the engine. When touched, it just flakes off and falls to the ground. Does anyone know what this is? Is it important? Do I need to replace some kind of coating on that firewall? Several people have seen it, and noone knows what it is.

2) I have a baffle on my IO-360 engine. I would like to take compression readings, but only the lower plugs are accessible. Can I take a reading from a lower plug? Or do I need to remove the baffle and access the top plugs? Since the engine has been idle so long, I may end up having to replace all the plugs anyway, but for now I was wondering if I can take reading, or will oil from the cylinder foul the meter?

3) I need a few parts, and am wondering if I should order them from the factory: A pushrod for the front gear door (and a missing bolt), a side plexi window from the canopy (tinted), a nose hatch (how did I lose that???! I can't imagine where it could have gone). I might need some brake parts, but I believe those are standard hardware... or are they? Should I do the brake work before I put in a factory order?

4) The standard has a small cockpit. Most American passengers (or possible buyers) are too tall to sit in the cockpit. Is it possible to move the seat backward in an Standard to give more leg room? Is this a minor or major refit?

Thanks for any answers or pointers, once again I apologize. I have searched some of these questions with poor or no results. 

Rich
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121026/4ef6cc44/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list