REFLECTOR: Stratus placement

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Oct 18 08:47:30 CDT 2012


Does the Garmin App support the ADSB radar overlay?

On 10/18/2012 7:35 AM, John Abraham wrote:
> The straus works much better on the east coast than in the mid-west.  Main
> reason is the number of ADSB stations available.  Normally I place it on the
> windscreen, it gets warm, but not too hot.  I have also had good luck with
> placing it on the floor in the back seat while plugged into a power source
> to charge.
>
> http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/flashMap/index.cfm and click ADSB on the left for
> the locations of the stations.  Not a whole lot in the mid to north west.  I
> think the stations have up to a 250NM range if I remember correctly.
>
> Radar is what I would call primitive compared to XM weather since it doesn't
> have a moving radar picture and is a little grainy, but it is way better
> than nothing and prevents having to pay $50/month to have XM.
>
> Overall I love it.
>
> Has anyone tried the Garmin App on the ipad?  I haven't bought it yet to try
> since I am overly satisfied with foreflight.
>
>                        John Abraham
> Chief Pilot, Executive V.P. Sales and Marketing
>           
>                    200 W. Airport Drive
>                    Sebastian, FL 32958
>              www.velocityaircraft.com
>                    (P): 772-589-1860
>                    (F): 772-589-1893
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Tim Walsh
> Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:17 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Cc: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Stratus placement
>
> Brian,
>
> I previously had a Garmin 496 with Wx. The radar graphics were crisper, but
> it is still great at dodging Thunder storms Florida is so famous for.
>
> Bottom line - awesome product!!  Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 17, 2012, at 21:29, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:
>
>> How good is the NEXRAD radar?  Is it comparable to XM weather?
>>
>> On 10/17/2012 06:26 PM, Tim Walsh wrote:
>>> Gordon,
>>>
>>> Just completed a round trip journey from Wash DC to Sebastian to Tampa to
> Wash DC.
>>> Stratus was placed in co-pilot strake with zero issues.
>>>
>>> Awesome capability!  Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Oct 17, 2012, at 18:40, Gordon Putney <cgputney at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> All,
>>>> Please advise best location and security for Stratus GPS and weather
> receiver.
>>>> I understand it can get too hot on a glare shield, and slide around in
> turbulence.
>>>> I prefer not to purchase the separate antenna.
>>>> TIA,
>>>> Gordon Putney
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw =
>>>> tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check
>>>> old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virus Database: 2441/5338 - Release Date: 10/17/12
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list