REFLECTOR: Update - Diverting to Sebastian

Tim Walsh timfwalsh01 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 16:40:13 CDT 2012


Folks,

While on a flight to Tampa, I encountered a fuel imbalance issue.

I was able to stop at the Velocity factory on Sunday, where Scott Baker came
to my rescue.  Scott brought me to  a hotel, and picked me up the next
morning to see if we could get a new gas cap (actually, the old style cap).
I was able to obtain a cap, and was on my way to Tampa for the week.
Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.  On the short flight from the
factory to Tampa, I also started to encounter a rough engine ­ which really
got my attention.

On Friday, I was able to go back to the factory and have Scott Swing look at
the plane (Scott Baker was going out of town).  Scott S took the old cap
apart and found an old O ring, replaced it, and lubed it all up.  Should be
no problem ­ YES!!  I was psyched.  A real bummer only flying on one tank.

While there Scott S also looked at the plane (made sure the wings would not
fall off) and said it was well built.  All looked good.  No kinked fuel/air
vent lines.

I also asked him about my inability to fill the tanks to the top.  I have a
couple of times in the past, and the gas would leak out the vent lines, to
the point of almost emptying both tanks.  He said yup, this was normal in
the old aircraft.  I asked if there was a fix, ³convert to the new venting
system.²  I will have to look at that ­ but I wanted to take advantage of
the great weather on the East Coast and head back to Virginia.

Well, appears my fuel flow issue was not the result of the faulty cap.  I
had to make two fuel stops on the way :-(  To make matters worse, my engine
also started running rough every now and then.  To say this was a tad bit
frustrating is an understatement.  I stopped and remained overnight in North
Carolina.  

In the morning, I was looking fwd to the short flight, 1.5 hours to
Virginia, in gorgeous weather.  When I did my run up ­ the engine was very
rough.  I spoke to my A&P friend who said that it sounds like a fouled plug.
Well, I remember from my student days how to run up the engine and clean
those puppies out.  No luck.

My A&P sent over an experienced corporate pilot who really showed me how to
aggressively clean the plugs (firewalled the throttle while leaning).  We
did a test flight and it worked.  I was on pins and needles listening to the
engine during my flight home (it was very smooth), but the fuel flow issue
was still there.

I just had a top end overhaul and my A&P friend wants me to run the engine
hot.  Well, I did not lean aggressively enough!!  HUGE LESSON learned!!  I
never leaned on the ground before - I was never taught that as a youngster.
I read articles about advanced leaning, but I stuck with my old ways ­ NO
LONGER!!

STRATUS ­ ADSB Wx enroute on the IPAD using Foreflight­ AWESOME!!.  I really
did have a real time comfort factor with knowing the Wx.  As my plane was
not feeling well (Ok, one of the problems was a result of my mistake :-(
but I have learned!!)  I did love the fact I could see the Wx and divert if
I had to.  

Now that I am home, I learned allot on this trip.  On the advice of Scott, I
will install an air dam in front of the air vent on the wing that is not
feeding, and see how that goes.  I will also aggressively lean!!

Love the way the Velocity flies for a cross country trip.  I love this
forum, and the way everyone comes to your assistance ­ THANKS ALL  Tim

Velocity N129VA




-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121014/93c956ed/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list