REFLECTOR: Flying Magazine - 2009 Velocity accident (Mark Magee)

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Wed Oct 10 18:49:37 CDT 2012


[LINK:
http://www.velocityxl.com/content.php?1429-Installing-the-Vortex-Generators-on-Wings]
http://www.velocityxl.com/content.php?1429-Installing-the-Vortex-Generators-on-Wings


	-------Original Message-------
  From: none
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flying Magazine - 2009 Velocity accident (Mark
Magee)
  Sent: 10 Oct '12 18:40


I had not thought of VG's on the canard. Any pics available? Of course, I'm
a ways from flying.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 10, 2012, at 6:24 PM, "Douglas Holub" <[LINK:
mailto:douglas.holub at gmail.com] douglas.holub at gmail.com> wrote:


I wish I had added the cuffs.  I was excited   about having the short chord
wing because I would be able to go faster at lower   altitudes.  My
Velocity flies 200 mph at 4000 feet with a   parallel valve IOX-360.  But I
would trade a few knots at the top end for a   lower stall speed. Since I
didn't put the cuffs on the main wing, I didn't   feel comfortable putting
vortex generators on the canard.  Mine are only on   the main wing.  If I
had the cuffs on I would also put vortex generators on   the canard and
drop my stall speed so I could land slower.

Doug
----- Original Message -----
FROM:    [LINK: mailto:markinchampions at gmail.com] none
TO: [LINK: mailto:reflector at tvbf.org] Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
   list
SENT: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:37    PM
SUBJECT: Re: REFLECTOR: Flying Magazine -    2009 Velocity accident (Mark
Magee)


I have an old standard FG project that I purchased with the airframe
completed. The original builder placed a leading edge cuff on the wings to
  help eliminate the deep stall. I've read good and bad concerning this
modification. I would like comments on this modification. Good, bad, should
it    be removed, should I keep it. Let me know.

Sent from my   iPad

On Oct 10, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "Laurence Coen" <[LINK:
mailto:lwcoen at hotmail.com] lwcoen at hotmail.com>    wrote:


Dave,

It wasn't a thunderstorm, it was wake turbulence and he    came down
inverted which is likely why it was fatal. All else is    accurate.

Larry Coen
N136LC


FROM: [LINK: mailto:dtnelson at us.ibm.com] Dave T Nelson
SENT: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:42 AM
TO: [LINK: mailto:reflector at tvbf.org] reflector at tvbf.org
SUBJECT: Re: REFLECTOR: Flying Magazine - 2009 Velocity accident    (Mark
Magee)


The author got other basic facts wrong.     It wasn't Rutan that mounted an
EZ on the back of a truck to    investigate deep stall... it was Danny
Maier, and it was a Velocity.     Also, the one other fatal deep stall
mentioned in the article was a    Velocity where the builder had modified
the fuel tanks by removing the rear    wall of the tank and allowing the
fuel to go all the way back to the spar to    gain more fuel capacity.
That, and the fact that he flew into a    thunderstorm, caused the
accident.

Geez....

Dave

Dave    T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program    Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
----- Forwarded by Dave T    Nelson/Rochester/IBM on 10/10/2012 06:39 AM
-----
On Oct 9,    2012, at 8:59 PM, Scott Derrick <[LINK:
mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net] scott at tnstaafl.net>    wrote:

There are    mistruths, he states 3 prior accidents, two landing in the
ocean.  He    fails to mention one of those was intentional by the factory,
the test    pilot elected to stay in the airplane, he had a parachute, and
soft landed    in the ocean.  That plane  was flying the next day. He
states    that any canard airplane can be deep stalled at 128K by either
aft cg or    abrupt pullup! First half truth/Lie is that it takes a way aft
CG, since    the redesign you need to be 2-3+ inches or more aft of aft CG
limit and    get the airplane in a very odd attitude, which at 128 knots I
think thats    probably not doable.  That you can deep stall a V by doing
abrupt    maneuvers is blatant speculation and I've never heard of anybody
doing it.    I've made some pretty aggressive maneuvers and been in some
wild    thunderstorm generated turbulence, by myself(aft CG) and never felt
any    indication at all of a deep stall.  And the accident plane hit
really    hard!  All three known deep stall accidents, one intentional, all
hit    very softly, and hit flat. This accident turned over, that would not
be    characteristic of a deep stall.

He took a few facts, dressed up a    few assumptions, sugar coated a few
lies and just made shit up!  I    think he has a thing against canards and
is playing fast and loose with    the facts to paint the V as inherently
dangerous.

Scott


--------    Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flying Magazine -    2009 Velocity accident
From: Mark Magee [LINK: mailto:edjonesbrady at gmail.com]
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list [LINK:
mailto:reflector at tvbf.org]
Date: 10/09/2012 04:47 PM
Hi    Scott,
Elaborate?

Mark B.    Magee
M34XL
Sent from IPhone 4S

On Oct    9, 2012, at 5:32 PM, Scott Derrick <[LINK:
mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net] scott at tnstaafl.net>    wrote:

You know I've    always liked reading Garrison's articles.  I now wonder if
most    of them are as full of bullshit as this one?  Probably    so...

Scott
-------- Original    Message --------
Subject: REFLECTOR: Flying Magazine - 2009    Velocity accident
From: Reiff Lorenz [LINK: mailto:Reiff at Lorenz.com]
To: [LINK: mailto:reflector at tvbf.org] reflector at tvbf.org [LINK:
mailto:reflector at tvbf.org]
Date: 10/09/2012 03:42 PM

This month's Flying    magazine has an article (copy attached) about a
Velocity accident in    2009. The plane lost a prop blade and this author
believes the pilot    mistook the violent shaking to be flutter, pulled
abruptly on the    stick, put the plane into a deep stall, and had no way
to use engine    power to break the stall.

I wasn't a    Reflector member in 2009 so don't know any more than what is
in the    article. Is there anything to learn from this apart from the
obvious? (Make sure your prop blades stay attached, but recognize    the
symptoms if they don't, and fly the airplane.)


REIFF LORENZ,    DAYTON, OH
Velocity XL-RG,    37% complete
Currently working    on: Sanding stuff smooth.


THE    [LINK:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=d3a73e710c719626dd353d3b101be90f]
VELOCITY BUILDERS\' VIRTUAL    HANGAR. AVAILABLE    24/7 FOR BUILDERS AND
OWNERS:
[LINK:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65]
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65

PS     I'll be in the hangar from 7 – 9pm EDT tonight (Tuesday is
building night!)


_______________________________________________
To change    your email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives:    [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

--
What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the    small man seeks is
in others.
Confucius
_______________________________________________
To change    your email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives:    [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


_______________________________________________
To change your    email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives:    [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

--
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;    knock and the
door will be opened to you.
Jesus Christ
_______________________________________________
To change your    email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html_______________________________________________
Visit the    gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose


          --------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your    email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit    the gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw =    tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old    archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To    change your email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit    the gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw    = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check    old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


          --------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your email    address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the    gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check    new archives: [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:    [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/gallery]
www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: [LINK: http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail]
www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
          --------------------
_______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121010/4c8093f4/attachment-0003.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list