REFLECTOR: Epoxy question

Ron N VelocityXLFG velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 8 16:01:02 CDT 2012


Thanks I believe you would not want to use the 90 bid as tapes. It would 
give only 1/2 the strength on a seam
that the 45 degree cut tapes do. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ron

On 10/8/2012 3:22 PM, Reiff Lorenz wrote:
>
> Here's a photo of the thin 90-degree bid from Aircraft Spruce and the 
> thick 45-degree BID from West Marine.
>
> Description: C:\Users\Reiff\Pictures\From RLPhone\Camera 
> roll\WP_000313.jpg
>
> *From:*reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> *On Behalf Of *Reiff Lorenz
> *Sent:* Saturday, October 06, 2012 10:08 AM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Epoxy question
>
> Do you have any pictures of the bid tape?
>
> Ron,
>
> It is: West Marine #727 (Episize Biaxial Tape, 4" x 20 yard roll.)  
> Here is the link to the part on West Marine's site.
>
> http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=14880&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50218&subdeptNum=50219&classNum=50226
>
> (If the above link is broken, try: http://goo.gl/iHedd   )
>
> It is 50% heavier than the stock Velocity BID, so where the plans call 
> for 5 layers of (woven 8.9oz) BID, I've been using 3 (straight 15oz) 
> plies of this. It doesn't stretch or contort as much as standard BID 
> (due to the non-structural, in-line stitching that holds it together), 
> which is great when trying to place a long strip in position, but be 
> aware that it won't conform to tight corners very well.
>
> West has free shipping on orders of $99 or more.
>
> For cosmetic applications, I've been using the Aircraft Spruce 
> fiberglass tape. It's lighter that Velocity BID and it's laid out at 
> 90-degrees, so it's not as strong. Good for keeping seams from 
> cracking or as a smooth layer of glass on top of a structural layup.
>
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/etapes.php
>
> While you're there, get some peel-ply tape, too. So much easier than 
> trying to cut 4-inch strips from a long roll. I got this from another 
> builder and have used it almost exclusively.
>
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/peelply.php
>
> DISCLAIMER: I'm not a fiberglass expert. Most of my fiberglass work at 
> this stage consists of fairings and flanges. I have no qualms about 
> using the West fiberglass for things like holding on canard tips or 
> making cowl flanges. I'd check with Velocity HQ or an engineer, 
> though, before I used it in load-supporting applications like bulkhead 
> reinforcements.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> *Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH*
>
> Velocity XL-RG, 37% complete
>
> Currently working on: Creating a large-radius wing root fairing on the 
> engine cowl.
>
> *The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:*
>
> _https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65_
>
> *From:*reflector-bounces at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org> 
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> <mailto:[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]> *On Behalf Of *Ron N 
> VelocityXLFG
> *Sent:* Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:23 PM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Epoxy question
>
> Do you have any pictures of the bid tape. And a part number . Sorry I 
> can not picture what you are using.
> I would love to not have to cut bid tapes
>
> Ron
>
> On 10/3/2012 9:54 PM, Reiff Lorenz wrote:
>
>     I'm now using West exclusively. I use the fast hardener and mix it
>     in small batches. Layups gel within an hour. If I hit it with a
>     heat gun after it has gelled (and the exotherm danger has passed)
>     it is fully set and sandable within a few hours. It keeps me
>     building instead of waiting. I switch to the slow hardener for
>     larger batches or projects that I don't expect to work on again in
>     the next for 24 hours.
>
>     While we're talking about West products, their 4-inch 45-degree
>     BID tape saves a ton of time cutting tape strips! It's 50% heavier
>     than the 8.9 ounce BID that the kit calls for and its fibers are
>     not woven ( they're held in place with a non-structural thread,
>     like triax), so they are supposedly even stronger than woven BID.
>     Anyone else using this?
>
>     *Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH*
>
>     Velocity XL-RG, 37% complete
>
>     Currently working on: Fitting cowl to wings.
>
>     *The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:*
>
>     _https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65_
>
>     *From:*reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
>     <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>
>     [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On Behalf Of *Lou Stedman
>     *Sent:* Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:04 PM
>     *To:* Canard Aviators; Velocity Reflector
>     *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Epoxy question
>
>     I got a lot of different answers to my question about epoxy from
>     everyone. They were much appreciated. Today I called Velocity and
>     asked them. They told me that I used the wrong hardener, which you
>     all told me. They said that I could use the West as long as I used
>     the slower hardener. In my case it is the 206. He did say that the
>     209 would be better but if I mixed more micros, they would take
>     away some of the heat. He also suggested that instead of trying to
>     fill the entire void which was created, that I epoxy in close cell
>     foam to fill the original area. He told me to let it dry using the
>     206 and the next day I can cut a slot just a bit larger the the
>     horn and epoxy it into place. The last thing he suggested was to
>     put one layer of bid over the repaired area, sand , and paint.
>
>     So today I followed his instructions and had no problem. Tomorrow
>     I will cut my slot and epoxy in the control horn. So not others
>     know the "right" way to do this repair. Thanks again for all of
>     your comments. It helped a lot.
>
>     Lou Stedman
>     Velocity SEFG
>     N7044Q
>     Olean, NY
>
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>
>     To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>       
>
>     Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery  <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>     Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail  <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>
>     Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121008/d47ce492/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 63751 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121008/d47ce492/attachment-0001.jpe>


More information about the Reflector mailing list