REFLECTOR: Methods and Tools questions
Alex Balic
velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Thu Oct 4 21:58:50 CDT 2012
I had a LOT of use from a small air powered body saw- harbor freight sells
them for under $30, they use a small metal cutting blade and cut cured glass
really fast and cleanly too
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Lawrence Epstein
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 4:52 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Methods and Tools questions
I found a drill press and belt sander to be very useful as well.
Larry Epstein
On Oct 3, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at lorenz.com> wrote:
Clay,
How exciting that you're getting close to starting!
I'm only 1 year into my build, so I can't claim to be an expert, but I have
completed all of the structural fiberglass work. Here are my opinions.
1. You can build a Velocity with all electric tools or a combination of air
and electric. Air tools are smaller, lower temperature, and more powerful.
Electric tools are more versatile (can be used around the house and
eventually in your hangar) and are easier to use together (multiple can be
plugged in at the same time). If you have electric tools now, then start
with those. If you have (or can borrow) a small compressor, get an
inexpensive air-saw and grinder. If you end up using them a lot, you can
upgrade your compressor later to handle the high demand.
2. Must have tools:
A. Cordless drill. You'll use this constantly, not just as a drill and
screwdriver. Get a sanding disk and socket-wrench adapter for it. (I suggest
getting 2 drills, so you can avoid switching back & forth between
tips/bits/disks.)
B. Vibrating tool (Fein or Dremmel's Multi-Max). Get a set of
Wood/Metal-cutting blades, a sanding pad and a box of 40 or 60 grit sanding
papers. (2 of these tools is also good.)
C. Band saw with a fine-tooth blade. Essential for cutting and shaping
aluminum.
D. Shop Vac. I like this better than an air compressor for handling dust.
Vacuum will collect it; a compressor will just distribute it evenly around
the shop.
E. Heat gun. For speeding the cure of layups, when necessary.
F. Bench grinder
G. Epoxy pump. It will save a lot of time measuring and will keep your
ratios right.
H. Hot glue gun. Great for holding things in place temporarily.
I. Computer in the workshop with webcam so you can log into the Velocity
Builders Virtual Hangar!
3. No, there's no need to vacuum bag anything. I vacuum bagged my strake
baffles, but would do it traditionally if I were doing it over. Most other
parts are either (1) too small to spend the time to set up a vacuum bag, or
(2) epoxied in place on the fuselage and so can't be easily bagged. (Not
sure about the wings/winglets/canard; I went the fast-built route.)
Hope this helps.
Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 37% complete
Currently working on: Fitting cowl to wings.
The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a
7ee1f38e65
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Clayton Chase
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:25 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Methods and Tools questions
I'm getting closer to getting my basement ready and as a consequence
actually being able to start on my kit. Since I would like to
complete the kit using the same methods I start with, I am asking the group
for your collective wisdom.
Has anybody successfully used vacuum bagging for much on the velocity?
I went through Brett Ferrell's archive and some web searching and
didn't find much. Someone is selling strake baffles that are vacuum
bagged and some of the quickbuild wings used to be done with vacuum
bagging techniques, but I don't see much about it on the list. If I
do go for a vacuum system some things that I think will be good to do are
the main wings, and winglets and the canard. I'm not sure that I'll be able
to do the layups that are on existing pieces very well since I'll need
vacuum tape and need the other surface to be airtight.
Plus if I did a large piece I'd be concerned about deforming the piece I'm
adding onto.
How much use would I get out of an air compressor? All of my current power
tools are electric/battery driven and I'd prefer to stick with more of those
rather than have a mix of air and electric tools so the compressor would
actually only provide air rather than tool power.
The uses I can think of are mostly around dusting and cleaning. I have an
airless paint sprayer that may or may not be useful when I get to that
stage.
I've got saws, drills, sanders, sanding blocks, levels and straight edges
and so on. I'm planning on getting some clecos (and tool for
them). Any other tools you guys think I should get before I even
start?
Clay
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery> www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives:
<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
<http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121004/79b04d8b/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list