REFLECTOR: Gap between strange and wing

Peter Braswell peter.braswell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:13:05 CDT 2012


Kurt,
I'm starting to get the picture in my head… I'm sure I can figure it out
but you don't happen to have a photo do you?

TIA,
Peter

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
*Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
------------------------------------------------------------------------



On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM, <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Peter.
>
> What I did was:
>
> Get wings jigged where they should be.
>
> Put a piece of duct tape over the aft 1" of the joint line (top  and
> bottom).  Hot-glue a stir stick into the joint right at the leading edge
> joint.
>
> Use a taping knife and the filler you plan on using. Fill/feather the
> entire area to get a transition that you like. Dont fill over the duct tape
> or knock out the stir stick.
>
> After it dries, pull off the tape and pull out the stir stick.
>
> Mark a line between the slot in the aft portion where the duct tape was,
> and the small slot in the leading edge.
>
> Using a hack saw blade, re-cut the line between the strake and the wing.
>
> Fill the area where the tape and stick were, sand and feather. Then recut
> these areas.
>
> Nice straight lines and very smooth transition. I found that the area near
> the strake, spar, wing, and right at the leading edge were pretty close
> anyway..
>
> Kurt
>
>
>  -----Original Message-----
> From: Peter Braswell <peter.braswell at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tue, Oct 2, 2012 3:15 pm
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Gap between strange and wing
>
> All,
> I'm to the point where the strake is about complete and I'm ready to flip
> the airplane over.  The manual doesn't go into a lot of detail and I was
> wondering what process or procedure folks are using to make the area where
> the top and bottom skin of the strakes meet the top and bottom skin of the
> wings?  Is there some technique to lap over and close off the entire gap or
> are builders just trying to get the gap and intersection as close and neat
> as possible?
>
>  TIA,
> Peter
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
> *Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>  _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121003/d402892c/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list