REFLECTOR: STD-RG Performance

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 20 17:06:30 CST 2012


 Not sure if this will make it through the reflector or not, but here's a
shot of my exhaust....

(See attached file: IMG_1045.jpg)

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering




----- Message from <jerry at jlbent.com> on Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:22:57 -0500
-----
                                                                                    
      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>           
                                                                                    
 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine Cooling (Now - which        
          performance mods)?                                                        
                                                                                    


Hey Dave,

I would be interested in description of your exhaust.  Better still a
picture.  I don't quite understand how it exist aft of the prop.


Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com

                                                                                                                                                      
   -------Original Message-------                                                                                                                     
   From: Dave T Nelson                                                                                                                                
   To: reflector at tvbf.org                                                                                                                             
   Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine Cooling (Now - which performance mods)?                                                     
   Sent: Nov 20 '12 3:05pm                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
   I've got a STD-RG, Lycoming IO-360 and an MT prop.  I started off with armpit scoops feeding into a tops-down plenum, along with a single nose     
   mounted oil cooler.  Intake air was off a second scoop mounted on the right wing.                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                      
   My situation was that I built my plane while sharing my shop with a good buddy who built a really nice Cozy 3 place.  We got them both flying at   
   about the same time, and spent many happy years racing (and bragging).  I still say his plane was the slow ugly one.                               
                                                                                                                                                      
   Anyway, the main thing(s) you do to make these airplanes go fast are all about weight and aerodynamics.  Power increases don't get the same bang   
   for the buck.  I focused mostly on drag reduction... really clean gear doors, clean canard/fuselage interface, minimum cooling drag, and clean     
   exhaust system.  The last two are the most important.                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                                      
   The armpit scoops are a bit of an aerodynamic disaster... they are all too big.  If you tuft or do an oil study on them, you'll find that the bulk 
   of the air is getting pushed back out of the scoop because of the inherent flow resistance of the  tubes taking the air to the top of the plenum,  
   the flow through the plenum & engine, and the output behind the prop.  An oil study will likely also show nearly dead air at the output (right     
   behind the prop).  The total square inches of inlet are too great, and so is the total square inches of outlet.                                    
                                                                                                                                                      
   Many of my initial mods were in trying to clean up the cooling and intake air..  I made several different styles of cooling air intakes, each      
   smaller than the last.  Nothing worked particularly well.  Eventually, after developing significant cooling issues (which turned out to be an      
   engine issue, not an aer! odynamic problem), I went to the rooftop NACAs.  As I said... they work fabulously.  I take my induction air off the     
   right NACA.  There are no external protrusions on my plane.                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                                      
   The exhaust changes were probably the most speed gain.  I've gone from the original rear exiting 2 in 1's that exit through tubes attached to the  
   lower cowl, to the "straight out the bottom" types you see on many XLs today (which were by far the worst performers - a real disaster), to what I 
   have today - a one-of design of my own that keeps the entire exhaust inside the cowl and exits aft of the prop.  That was a big gain!              
                                                                                                                                                      
   OK, performance... I see around 185 knots true +/- at around 25 squared... middling altitudes... at around 10 - 11 gallons / hour ... cold air,    
   down low, with a light plane is better still.  It's not as fast as I'd like, but I'm not done trying.  The next ! effort will be a complete cowl   
   redesign to get rid of those awful turns! where the cowl angles in just aft of the last cylinder.  All the attached air detaches at that point...  
                                                                                                                                                      
   Hope this helps.  What numbers to you see?                                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                                      
   Dave                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                      
   Dave T. Nelson                                                                                                                                     
   T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648                                                                                                 
   Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering                                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                       ----- Message from "Richard J. Gentil" on Tue, 20 Nov 2012     
                                                                                       10:38:47 -0500 -----                                           
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                  To: 
                                                                                                                         Velocity Aircraft Owners and 
                                                                                                                         Builders list                
                                                                                                                                             Subject: 
                                                                                                                         Re: REFLECTOR: Early model   
                                                                                                                         Velocity RG Engine Cooling   
                                                                                                                         (David Smith)                
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      



Dave N,

Which go fast mod have you done and what speeds are you getting? (Please
mention the engine and prop combo you are running.)

Thanks,

Richard

Sent from my iPhone 5
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

----- Message from Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com> on Tue, 20 Nov 2012
16:30:39 -0500 -----
                                                                                
      To: geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list  
          <reflector at tvbf.org>                                                  
                                                                                
 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Need some advice/measurements                          
                                                                                


Awesome video !!
Scott B.

On 11/20/2012 2:51 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
> I had to move my SE-RG in and out of my shop (single-car garage door)
> a couple times.  Here's how I did it.  I wouldn't try this with an
> engine on, tho.  Its relatively easy to pull an engine off, tho.
>
> http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=292
>
> There's a video in that post that shows my wife and I moving it out of
> the shop on a cradle.
>
> Geoff
>




----- Message from none <markinchampions at gmail.com> on Tue, 20 Nov 2012
15:58:50 -0600 -----
                                                                                           
      To: "jerry at jlbent.com" <jerry at jlbent.com>, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders     
          list <reflector at tvbf.org>                                                        
                                                                                           
 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine Cooling (Now - which performance   
          mods)?                                                                           
                                                                                           


Me too.

On Nov 20, 2012, at 3:22 PM, <jerry at jlbent.com> wrote:

      Hey Dave,

      I would be interested in description of your exhaust.  Better still a
      picture.  I don't quite understand how it exist aft of the prop.


      Jerry Brainard
      Jerry at JLBEnt.com

                                                                                                                                                      
   -------Original Message-------                                                                                                                     
   From: Dave T Nelson                                                                                                                                
   To: reflector at tvbf.org                                                                                                                             
   Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine Cooling (Now - which performance mods)?                                                     
   Sent: Nov 20 '12 3:05pm                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
   I've got a STD-RG, Lycoming IO-360 and an MT prop.  I started off with armpit scoops feeding into a tops-down plenum, along with a single nose     
   mounted oil cooler.  Intake air was off a second scoop mounted on the right wing.                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                      
   My situation was that I built my plane while sharing my shop with a good buddy who built a really nice Cozy 3 place.  We got them both flying at   
   about the same time, and spent many happy years racing (and bragging).  I still say his plane was the slow ugly one.                               
                                                                                                                                                      
   Anyway, the main thing(s) you do to make these airplanes go fast are all about weight and aerodynamics.  Power increases don't get the same bang   
   for the buck.  I focused mostly on drag reduction... really clean gear doors, clean canard/fuselage interface, minimum cooling drag, and clean     
   exhaust system.  The last two are the most important.                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                                      
   The armpit scoops are a bit of an aerodynamic disaster... they are all too big.  If you tuft or do an oil study on them, you'll find that the bulk 
   of the air is getting pushed back out of the scoop because of the inherent flow resistance of the  tubes taking the air to the top of the plenum,  
   the flow through the plenum & engine, and the output behind the prop.  An oil study will likely also show nearly dead air at the output (right     
   behind the prop).  The total square inches of inlet are too great, and so is the total square inches of outlet.                                    
                                                                                                                                                      
   Many of my initial mods were in trying to clean up the cooling and intake air..  I made several different styles of cooling air intakes, each      
   smaller than the last.  Nothing worked particularly well.  Eventually, after developing significant cooling issues (which turned out to be an      
   engine issue, not an aer! odynamic problem), I went to the rooftop NACAs.  As I said... they work fabulously.  I take my induction air off the     
   right NACA.  There are no external protrusions on my plane.                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                                      
   The exhaust changes were probably the most speed gain.  I've gone from the original rear exiting 2 in 1's that exit through tubes attached to the  
   lower cowl, to the "straight out the bottom" types you see on many XLs today (which were by far the worst performers - a real disaster), to what I 
   have today - a one-of design of my own that keeps the entire exhaust inside the cowl and exits aft of the prop.  That was a big gain!              
                                                                                                                                                      
   OK, performance... I see around 185 knots true +/- at around 25 squared... middling altitudes... at around 10 - 11 gallons / hour ... cold air,    
   down low, with a light plane is better still.  It's not as fast as I'd like, but I'm not done trying.  The next effort will be a complete cowl     
   redesign to get rid of those awful turns! where the cowl angles in just aft of the last cylinder.  All the attached air detaches at that point...  
                                                                                                                                                      
   Hope this helps.  What numbers to you see?                                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                                      
   Dave                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                      
   Dave T. Nelson                                                                                                                                     
   T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648                                                                                                 
   Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering                                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
   ----- Message from "Richard J. Gentil" on Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:38:47 -0500 -----                                                                    
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                  To: 
                                                                                                                         Velocity Aircraft Owners and 
                                                                                                                         Builders list                
                                                                                                                                             Subject: 
                                                                                                                         Re: REFLECTOR: Early model   
                                                                                                                         Velocity RG Engine Cooling   
                                                                                                                         (David Smith)                
                                                                                                                                                      
   Dave N,                                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                      
   Which go fast mod have you done and what speeds are you getting? (Please mention the engine and prop combo you are running.)                       
                                                                                                                                                      
   Thanks,                                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                      
   Richard                                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                      
   Sent from my iPhone 5                                                                                                                              
   _______________________________________________                                                                                                    
   To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector                                                                 
                                                                                                                                                      
   Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery                                                                                                           
   user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose                                                                                                                       
   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail                                                                                                         
   Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                      


      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit
      http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
      Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives:
      http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
      _______________________________________________
      Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121120/9713d1d5/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ecblank.gif
Type: image/gif
Size: 45 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121120/9713d1d5/attachment-0001.gif>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1045.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 1503040 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121120/9713d1d5/attachment-0001.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list