REFLECTOR: Marker beacon receiver

stedmanlou at roadrunner.com stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Mon Nov 19 08:34:24 CST 2012


Thanks Sid
--
Lou Stedman
LEZ N9EC
Olean, NY

---- sbjknox <sbjknox at earthlink.net> wrote: 
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Marker beacon receiver
> 
> 
> > Could someone educate me on the use of my marker beacon receiver? Since I 
> > am not IFR cert. I do not use it. I have a King KR-21. I was trying to 
> > shoot an approach yesterday but could not get a light at the OM. I tried 
> > the King website but didn't find any operator's manual. My unit has a 
> > switch on the right side and three positions. They are labeled H, L, T. I 
> > assume the T is for test. When I put the switch in that position I get 
> > lights on the A and M but not on the O. While shooting the approach my 
> > switch was in the center position labeled L. Not sure what H and L are for 
> > or which position I should be in. I did get an audibal signal as i passed 
> > over the OM. I did check for notams on the LOC but none were listed. 
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Lou Stedman
> > LEZ N9EC
> > Olean, NY
> 
> Your assumption about T is correct.  H and L are for High and Low beacon 
> receiver sensitivity.  When in High sensitvity you will began to pick-up the 
> marker signal farther away.  Then, as you get closer, you can switch to LOW 
> to reduce the sensivity which requires that you to be closer to the marker 
> to get an audible signal and to light the light.
> Since you can hear the OM you have the more complex portions of the system 
> working... antenna, wiring, rf receiver, and audio.
> Clearly, the Test function is telling you  that the circuit that drives the 
> light is Tango Uniform.  The lamp driver is dirt-simple and not seeing an OM 
> light may be simply a bad "bulb" (LED, incendescent, ?), or a 5 cent 
> transistor.
> 
> $0.02
> 
> Sid Knox
> Oklahoma
> 
> Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
> Starduster  N666SK
> KR2         N24TC
> W7QJQ
> 
> 
> I saw a poor old lady fall over today on the ice!! At least I presume
> she was poor - she only had $1.20 in her purse.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list