REFLECTOR: EZ-84 hardener

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 17:10:07 CST 2012


I have hardener that is at least 10 years old and is not lumpy. It turned black very quickly. I suspect that the lumpy hardener is because it is stored in an epoxy pump where air can get to it.  My hardener is in a sealed metal container.  I still have some of the original resin that came with my kit in 1995.  It forms crystals that can be turned back into liquid by heating it.  I used some of this material this summer and it set-up just fine.  I think the hardener problem is one of oxidation.  Your mileage may vary.

Larry Coen
N136LC


From: Peter Braswell 
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:28 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: EZ-84 hardener


Well, I find that my hardener lasts about 6-8 months.  At a point it starts to act like curdled milk.  It's still usage for a bit after that point but not for much longer.  As I get to about 1 year, it really starts to clog my epoxy pump and is just a pain to work with.   


After 2 years, I'd be surprised if your material is still usable, but you never know.  You'll be able to tell right away if it's gone.  It should have the consistency of something like maple syrup.  If it's like curdled milk or worse yet like jello, it's gone …


-Peter
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com 
Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------




On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com> wrote:

  Along those lines, is there really any point in me even looking at my 4 year old hardener?   I've read that it tends to degrade after about 2 years.

  Conditions have varied from 100+ degrees to low 30's. 





  On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Peter Braswell <peter.braswell at gmail.com> wrote:

    Glenn
    It's going bad.  You night get a little more mileage if you submerge the container in really hot water but its been my experience that once it starts getting lumpy, you're on borrowed time.


    Peter

    Sent from my iPhone

    On Nov 18, 2012, at 3:11 PM, Glenn Falkenberg <airmech2 at gmail.com> wrote:


      Is it normal for EZ -84 hardener to get lumpy. I have my epoxy box temp set at 70 degrees. Is this normal or is it going bad? 

      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
      Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121118/6bb09168/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list