REFLECTOR: Cancun?

Doug Kanczuzewski doug at customstudio.com
Thu May 24 10:46:23 CDT 2012


The canard group flies down yearly into Baja here on the west coast. I have a remote fuel shut off valve and the handle is removable for extra security. You have to stop at a port of entry first and they are usually paved. Even some of the small unpaved are guarded by the military. Prop locks are also a good visual deterrent. I agree stay off the smaller dirt/gravel in the velocity. Mexico can be FUN and insurance is not hard to get.

Doug K

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Mark Magee
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:29 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Cc: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cancun?

My associates who have frequently flown into MX say the GA airfields are all treated as 'paramilitary' and guarded by federal soldiers. The dirt strips as mentioned are where confrontations with unfriendlies would be more probable. An American living in Guadalajara flew to our fly in at our field last weekend in a Mooney. His wife is a diplomat at the US Embassy so he carries a 'badge' of sorts of diplomatic immunity (nice!). He as well works at the US embassy. We talked at length about the safety of MX GA flying by Gringos. He said no issues, just follow the rules. Stick to the beaten path. He flies the M20 throughout MX and says he's never had to pull out his diplomatic badge.
He is based in Guadalajara with the US registered Mooney. I will fly the Velo down and visit his family in the future if possible.

Mark B. Magee
Sent from IPhone 4

On May 24, 2012, at 9:13 AM, Andrew Judge <ajudge at grovenetworks.com<mailto:ajudge at grovenetworks.com>> wrote:
The only stolen velocity airplane I’ve ever heard of was taken from near Lakeland years ago and was the demo plane. The guy wanted to  “buy” mine and probably do the same thing. Not sure if they found the demo plane ever?

That said, I googled for stolen airplanes in Cancun and didn’t find any. Maybe if you leave your plane at an unattended airport, but the way our planes are, it’s gonna have to be asphalt 3000+ when you leave full fuel.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like if airplanes get stolen in MX, it’s Baja at small strips and typically Cessnas?

Andy

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org<mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Jones Nick
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:44 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cancun?

Has anyone had any experience with Air Journey? I know they are expensive but is it worth it to have someone that has been there to handle all the government hoopla. They have an escorted trip to the Yucatan and Belize<http://www.airjourney.com/journey.php?pays=Centralamerica> which I would really like to do when my bird is flying but I have the same concerns about losing the plane when I get there to smugglers. I visited Cancun with the Wings at Sea group from SNF on a ship and had a blast on the island. Definitely someplace I want to visit again.

Best regards,

Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN
99% done 90% to go

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org<mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of KMis178813 at aol.com<mailto:KMis178813 at aol.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:18 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org<mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cancun?

Andy

   Check out Caribbean Sky Tours  www.caribbeanskytours.com<http://www.caribbeanskytours.com>  They have guided tours too and in Mexico. I, at one point and time, put Mexican endorsement on my insurance policy for about $100 and never went through with it. When I went there commercially I checked with the Cancun FBO to get the rules. There were many, One being I believe that they had to file the flight plan for you at a cost, and it was expensive. Not to mention the natives that would like to move Herb over the border but under the radar (what a fine plane for that). The plane may not be there when you want to leave. And who do you call to report a missing airplane? The same guys that caught me speeding (so they say) and wanted me to pay the fine on the spot or go to a Mexican prison for the weekend?????

    FWIW
     Ken

In a message dated 5/23/2012 8:30:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ajudge at grovenetworks.com<mailto:ajudge at grovenetworks.com> writes:
Yup. In my Standard FG, I figure 2.5 from KEYW. That's why it seems like a pretty easy flight as long as I don't have to divert to Cuba.

Andy

From: Scott Baker [mailto:scottb33333 at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 06:18 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org<mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cancun?

Geesh,
I was wrong on the distance from Key West to Cancun.  It's only 355nm.  Less than 3-hrs in a SE-FG and about 2-hrs in a XL-RG.
Scott B.

On 5/23/2012 5:27 PM, Andrew Judge wrote:
Has anyone flown to Cancun via KEYW? Was thinking about doing a trip out there, but unsure about the pros and cons. I’ve been to the Bahamas, but that has a lot of land and the only thing with Cancun is the lack of it. I suppose there is Cuba on the way if necessary, but that would probably be a nightmare. Also, the weather is pretty bad. Not sure if XM can get coverage out there.

Andy






_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector



Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>

Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120524/93baab48/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list