REFLECTOR: Oil cooler (FG)
Kevin Baker
flykb at verizon.net
Fri May 18 21:41:35 CDT 2012
I wanted to thank everyone on all the great information
with the oil cooler.
Was extremely helpful.
I think I'm going to go with the Positech 20008 C.
I'll report back with my results for others.
Thanks again,
Kevin Baker
.
On May 17, 2012, at 5:57 PM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
> No prefill, just start the engine.
>
> John
>
> On 5/17/2012 2:49 PM, flykb at verizon.net wrote:
>>
>> Hey John,
>> When you swapped them out was there any special tricks?
>> I'm thinking air bubbles in the cooler? do you connect the bottome lines and prefil with oil or just drain replace and refill thru engine?
>>
>> Thanks all,
>> Kevin Baker
>>
>>
>> On 05/17/12, John Dibble<aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
>>
>> Cleaning
>>
>> I cleaned my standard Niagara cooler. A lot of junk came out, but oil temps did not change.
>>
>> 2 pass
>>
>> I looked at the SW 2 pass. I requires changing the oil lines because one connection is on top and one on the bottom. I wanted something that would be an easy retrofit.
>>
>> I replaced with the Positech 20008 C. It made a big difference. Oil runs 70-75 C. I can climb out 1000 fpm and the max temp I see is 100 C. CHTs are 10 C lower also.
>>
>> John
>>
>>
>>
>> On 5/17/2012 12:18 PM, Kevin Baker wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Brian
>>> I'll keep that in mind.
>>>
>>> Kevin Baker
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> On May 17, 2012, at 10:37 AM, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Mike Deeter had continuous problems with high oil temps. One of the things he did was to give the cooler a really good cleaning. He said it contained some built up gunk that was probably causing partial blockage.
>>>>
>>>> I think he soaked the cooler in MEK for a week or two.
>>>>
>>>> On 5/17/2012 10:17 AM, nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> My Velocity is too different to help with comparison. However:
>>>>>
>>>>> I have not had very good luck with the airflow style of coolers. I had one in my 180 and 235, and had constand weeps, leaks, high temps, etc. (even after "repaired/Refurbished").
>>>>>
>>>>> I switched to this style: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/positech.php
>>>>> Have not had a single problem since in almost 1000 hrs. Temps are better, no leaks, etc.
>>>>>
>>>>> Might help in the V as well.
>>>>>
>>>>> Kurt
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>> From: Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net>
>>>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>>> Sent: Thu, May 17, 2012 8:38 am
>>>>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Oil cooler (FG)
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi AllI'm thinking of replacing my oil cooler (FG) with a bigger one to get my oil temps down during hot Texas days.I dont have room in the whine compartment for a 2nd.So my question is who makes the most efficient oil cooler or are they all about the same?I was looking to replace mine with a 2008x airflow.Running an io360 200hpThanks for the thoughtsKevin Baker N164PS._______________________________________________To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archive
>>>>> s/veloc
>>>>> ity/maillist.html
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120518/df7e6be5/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list