REFLECTOR: Email vs forum

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Mon May 14 09:12:33 CDT 2012


Hi Brett / All,
I am now way beyond Bingo fuel so will press on.
Brett I can't imagine how anyone could think for a moment that you or anyone else is trying to make make a buck here.
Since you're feeling a little ambivalent, I'll press the point:
IMHO the only reason we're on a mailing list Is because our community's inception pre-dates forums. Some folks started on the mailing list and apparently have had no reason to join any forums for other topics when they came into being and don't understand their advantages. This situation is akin to a steam-gauge trained (brained) pilot being told his next hop is in a fully glass panel, and he's never flown glass. After 30 mins sitting in the seat and thumbing around the touchscreen he figures he'll be OK. After his first hop he determines to never fly steam gauges again if possible. AND he and everyone studying the factors agree: he was a much safer pilot, his situational awareness a quantum leap ahead of his last hop on steam gauges.
To the point: we -should not- let a few steam guage brained folks frightened of glass panels threaten the safety of the whole community.
It has been covered every way possible that no one loses anything, and we all gain a significant leap in Flight Safety. Translated: We bury fewer folks within the community.
I don't mean to offend, however if flight safety isn't paramount in this group: it will begin to show over time. And the thought that we don't move to a glass panel for no cost purely because some complain they don't understand the benefits is a little crazy. 
I've buried numerous friends that drove it in in experimentals over the years. My dear friend (google CDR Harry Jenkins Long EZ, go to the end) and hangar partner in San Diego my closest EZ friend whom I had flown many hours in formation flight in a Long EZ. This was before forums and we strictly worked with RAF on info about mishaps back then.
This is what FLIGHT SAFETY means. Fewer mishaps.
I'm sorry, but we need to move forward. We need a forum. Those frightened by the change, we will facilitate your logging in and carry you to the position you had before. I will volunteer for that duty.
We should not, for any reason miss this opportunity to greatly increase the safety of our community.
This issue should not be tabled.

Respectfully Determinedly

Mark B. Magee
Sent from IPhone 4

On May 14, 2012, at 7:29 AM, "Brett Ferrell" <reflector at velocityxl.com> wrote:

> See, this and Hiroo's comments are the kind of negative feeling that I just honestly don't need, so why don't we table this topic?
> 
> Everyone has a login to Brian's site (tvbf.org) today, but apparently they don't realize it, even though you get a monthly email telling you what your password to that site is. And you're actually meant to maintain your own email address for that list rather than post "please change my email" to everyone.  I really think adding the forum option would only be better, since it would work just the same as it does today for the email folks but offer additional functionality.
> 
> But clearly people don't see it that way and I don't want folk's to think I'm pushing my website.  I don't make any money from my site, I offer it for the benefit of the community (like th! e Wiki), and it seems that a significant portion of the community doesn't see it as help. I don't want to be the focus point of irritation for folks, so let's drop it, eh?
> 
> Brett
> 
> 
>  
> > On Sun, May 13, 2012, at 11:01 PM, Scott Durham wrote:
> >I just tried to go vote and it wants me to log in. I don't have a login for this site. Leave it an email list.
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120514/7039f5d0/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list