REFLECTOR: Now Forum

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:53:08 CDT 2012


Hi Hiroo,
I think I've hit BINGO fuel on this topic and am now dedicated to the cause
so at this point I'll handle your objections point for point from my
knowledge of forum use:

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Hiroo Umeno <humeno at microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Since there seems to be an informal discussion / vote going on, I would
> like to throw in my couple pennies worth.****
>
> ** **
>
> My preference is for the Reflector to remain an e-mail mailing list.  I
> think having a web archive somewhere to point new members to is fine but
> the core discussions would be preferable on the e-mail.****
>
> ** **
>
> Here are some of my objections to the web forums.****
>
> **·         **Others have pointed out that they are pain to navigate,
> read, follow, and filter.
>
Really? Have you ever joined and interacted on a forum? Not sure where you
came to this conclusion, I find the exact opposite. This is why the groups
I shared use them.

> ****
>
> **·         **E-mail can be used offline.  Having it on e-mail means I
> have an offline archive I can take to the hangar and reference with full
> searching capability.  I cannot do that with web forum
>
You will still have all your emails. Past, present and future directly to
your device as before.

> ****
>
> **·         **Web forum represent a security vector that can be exploited
> by hackers and phishers.
>
Not if policed by the Admin(s). Today's forum software is quite secure.
Remember, you can get your credit card hacked walking down the street today
by scanner hackers. I honestly feel more safe on a forum today that walking
in a shopping mall: teenagers with mag stripe scanners are out there. We
aren't giving ANY sensitive data to anyone to join this or any forum; no
one would join them.

> ****
>
> **·         **Web forums are subject to the hosting company’s whims.
> Yahoo, etc has forums but they are likely to insert ads and also the
> content are owned by the hosting company (read ToS  carefully).
>
This is a privately owned forum. Not Applicable.

> ****
>
> **·         **Many of the web based social forums require sign-up to
> their services / accounts.
>
Same as above.

> ****
>
> **·         **And please, please, please don’t turn Reflector into
> something like Facebook group.
>
Not a chance, Facebook is -not- a forum. It is actually a unique deal.

> ****
>
> **·         **Lastly, on the point of the App Mark has brought up…  If
> there is going to be an app, please do not make that the primary method of
> accessing the Reflector as some of us dinosaurs do not have (or want)
> iDevice or Android devices.
>
Apparently that APP is not required for email only folks to start a new
topic according to Geoff and Brent.

Respectfully

Mark B. Magee
N34XL XLFG 300HP 80HRS
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120513/22abed8d/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list