REFLECTOR: Door grip

Kevin Baker flykb at verizon.net
Sun May 13 12:04:18 CDT 2012


Ahhhhh that may be it.
Mine doesn't slam down 
I can understand that about the pass.

Kevin Baker

.

On May 13, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Its possible its the location of the strut.  When closing, I need to ease mine down or it will slam shut - it requires a decent grip on the strake extension or a nasty slam.  Its not that its really difficult to open/close, but it would be more comfortable with a finger slot.  To be honest, I'm thinking about my wife opening the door more than me.  I think most folks would be looking for something to grab onto as its not just lifting on the strake extension, its lifting and pulling, and there's nothing to grip to support the pulling action aside from the shear force b/w your fingers and the strake extension.
> 
> This looks like a good solution:  http://www.sugatsune.com/products/ProductDetails.cfm?CATID=4&SUBCATID=3&PRODUCTID=HN 
> 
> Geoff
> 
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi all
> I have not found on our plane that anything like this was needed.
> We simply unlatch the door and put our hand on the bottom of the strake pull up a liitle and the door comes up.
> No problem
> If others are finding something diff like its really hard to pull the door up I would wonder if it had to do with the door strut location or strut strength.
> 
> Ours is the routine plans built no mods kind of velocity
> 
> Thanks
> Kevin Baker
> N164PS
> .
> 
> On May 13, 2012, at 9:58 AM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
> 
> > I don't have this and wondering why it is needed?
> >
> > John
> >
> > On 5/13/2012 9:24 AM, Chris Barber wrote:
> >> I need to add this too. I am still in primer. It has been done and there are pictures somewhere in the www. I have seen them a few inches long allowing all your fingers to grip on the bottom of the strake extension to a small hole big enough for a single finger. All were recessed into the strake extension. FWIW.
> >>
> >> Chris.
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone 4
> >>
> >> On May 13, 2012, at 7:55 AM, "Peter Braswell"<peter.braswell at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >>
> >>> Geoff
> >>> That's actually a good idea!  I'm working on that right noe and hadn't considered doing anything like that.  Any aerodynamic considerations that anybody can think of?
> >>>
> >>> Peter
> >>>
> >>> Sent from my iPad
> >>>
> >>> On May 13, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Geoff Gerhardt<geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> All,
> >>>>
> >>>> After I got my plane painted, assembled and in the hanger with the doors on, I quickly found that opening the door was a little awkward.  You have to turn the door handle with one hand while placing your flat palm on the underside of the strake extension without it slipping.  It seems there should be some sort of grip on the underside of the strake extension on the door to help in lifting the door.  I was regretting not creating a little cutout finger grip there prior painting.  I think I will make some sort of low-profile, streamlined grip that I'll paint and bond on.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about?  Has anyone else put some sort of grip there?
> >>>>
> >>>> Geoff
> >>>>
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>>
> >>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>
> >>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120513/3dc806a1/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list