REFLECTOR: Was Brakes -> Now Forum
Mark Magee
edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Sat May 12 10:07:12 CDT 2012
Hi Kevin,
I am a member at Brett's site, it is however Brett's site, and primarily
his bird. I have searched topics there, it's just not as intuitive as the
whole community having a forum. I do search my old emails for topics I
flagged. My point is that in terms of needing to put a
mod/upgrade/maintenance item on our birds, a log into a forum and a search
is the method selected by collective interest groups -over- mailing lists
by most folks world wide. For reasons already stated.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With a forum you have to login, see what new navigate thru a web page, ect
ect
Not very convient and I'm sure less folks would take the time to keep
logging in to check.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That we have to wait until evening to interact rather than real-time is
really mitigated by the new forum apps for smartphones. With these apps you
can basically have the functionality you're discussing, as is now on the
Reflector. And the ease of search-ability in forums is the best.
If a new member buys his kit/project/flying Velo today, joins The
Reflector, think of the tragedy of having to thoroughly scan 20 years of
digests to find discussions of a Velo topic he is interested/concerned
about.
This person does not have 2.3 megs of emails on Google's server available
to him for an on-board text search as I do. (BTW Google is free to 10 MB :(
I guess I have to break out my Mastercard after that. ) Down to the
library, break out he microfiche...
Flight Safety.
We are not serving the Velo community as best as possible with a mailing
list. We can have a forum that will function almost as the Mailing List did
for those who want that functionality. I have an '04 Dodge cummins pickup,
google 'cummins diesel' and see how many -forums- pop up. Nary a mailing
list. Ever surf Van's forum? I start to like aluminum planes a little
better after scanning their data in such an organized fashion. BTW, RV
folks vastly outnumber Rutan types, how can they make it on a forum and we
can't??? How can they live without instant conversation (You folks do
disrupt my day job sometimes :) )
We really need to do this.
For the love of all that is Canardian.
I've said my piece.
Respectfully :)
Mark B. Magee
N34XL XLFG 300HP 80HRS
''Texan by birth, Canardian by choice'
On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> I do understand forums. It is really how folks get and use the media.
> With the emails folks get immediate access anywhere they are and are able
> to respond to questions or requests for answers quickly.
> Take mobile phones for example, I get emails all day and are able to
> respond without doing anything.
> With a forum you have to login, see what new navigate thru a web page, ect
> ect
> Not very convient and I'm sure less folks would take the time to keep
> logging in to check.
>
> It seems the issue you have is you don't want emails and want to search
> archives.
> Why don't you just not delete your emails and search your own email
> archive, that is what I do and I'm sure others do as well.
> I can export all the old emails to txt files for you to upload into you
> email prog if you want.
> Most email programs allow you to search any field for any key word.
> Then boom there you have a sorted list of just the emails you are looking
> for.
>
> No offense taken :-)
>
> I love getting the emails all day and see lots of folks responding to alot
> of "how do you" , "does anyone have" and then see someone with in minutes
> respond and the builder with the help or answers.
> With a forum one may not get the help until late that night or days later
> when someone gets around to logging in and checking the website. Not very
> easy or convient on smartphones ect
>
> I think Brett posts the emails to his site, are you not able to login and
> use that?
>
>
> Just my 2 c
>
> Kevin Baker
>
> .
>
> On May 12, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Kevin/All,
> >
> > A forum would be MUCH easier to find old threads later to review
> valuable info posted up IMHO. There is a -good- reason most all other
> interest groups on the web are in forum format. The only downside is the
> necessity of a relatively active administrator.
> > For instance: this Matco brake upgrade thread is very valuable to me
> personally (XL FG: orig Matcos). I can't really take action on this this
> weekend so all I can do is create a file folder for this thread on my end.
> OTW I have to either email search my folders or (please no) search a an
> archive. In a forum format it would -always- be there for everyone for
> future reference and easily found by a search.
> > I participate on multiple forums on the web for varied topics and I fear
> a lot of very valuable data is lost for those of us who subscribe here:
> searching a digested mailing list archive in my mind is akin to searching
> microfiche vs the ease of a forum format.
> > Kevin, are you a member of any forums? Frankly I can't understand anyone
> who is would prefer this to a format a forum.
> > I was on a VW mailing list that went to a forum 10 years ago...
> > No offense intended to the originators of this mailing list and those in
> their comfort zone here. It is very valuable, just very difficult to search
> for a topic covered in the past.
> > To repeat, there are valid reasons that nearly (virtually?) all interest
> groups on the web have abandoned mailing lists and are forum based.
> > We would all benefit greatly, flight safety would benefit by a forum
> format.
> >
> > My $.02
> >
> > Mark B. Magee
> > N34XL
> > Sent from IPhone 4
> >
> > Texan by birth, Canardian by choice.
> >
> > On May 11, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I concur
> >> I like the current email format.
> >>
> >> Kevin Baker
> >>
> >> .
> >>
> >> On May 11, 2012, at 4:26 PM, "Scott" <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> I would not be happy if the list moved to a forum. Probably would
> rarely participate.
> >>>
> >>> Sent from my Android phone.
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>
> >>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120512/de1408b8/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list