REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 86, Issue 33

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Fri May 11 08:20:33 CDT 2012


Here it is with fewer references. 

David G. Ullman PhD ME
Robust Decisions
ullman at robustdecisions.com
541-754-3609
1655 NW Hillcrest Dr
Corvallis OR 97330

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 5:59 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 86, Issue 33

Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
	reflector at tvbf.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	reflector-request at tvbf.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	reflector-owner at tvbf.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  Flight testing (Terrence Miles)
   2. Re:  Brakes (Scott Derrick)
   3. Re:  velocity xl rg for sale (Scott Derrick)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 18:59:43 -0500
From: Terrence Miles <terrence_miles at hotmail.com>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
	<reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flight testing
Message-ID: <BAY163-ds208EB4D836509BB50AA6CBF2170 at phx.gbl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

I run on one mag and one EI.  I agree having the idle RPM up too much adds
to landing roll (or to brake wear).  Been there.  Done that.  Unless you are
a better builder than me, there is likely some slop in your throttle cable.
I have taught myself and "yank again" after touch down to be sure I am at
mine idle possible.  Be gentle on the controls but forceful on the throttle
cable.  Doing at this in flight:    While forward speed driving the prop
would likely prevent an engine stoppage in the air, still while  on the
ground after the pre-take off engine/prop check, I yank the heck out of
trying to close the throttle to try and cause a low RPM engine starvation.
If it happens I goose up the idle setting, so it does not.  Just my 2 cents.

Terry

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Douglas Holub
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:29 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flight testing

 

I'll try that. I also have one mag and a Plasma III.

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Karl J. Warner <mailto:karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net>  

To: reflector at tvbf.org 

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:46 AM

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flight testing

 

Mine idles at 800 with the mag and Rose EI on and 600 on the mag only.  For
short field I'll shut off the EI once I commit to land and this solved the
engine quitting problem I had with everything turned down to 600 or so.
This is on a IO-360 btw.

On May 10, 2012, at 11:27 AM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:





From: "Douglas Holub" <douglas.holub at gmail.com>

Date: May 10, 2012 11:07:57 AM EDT

To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flight testing

Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>



Same with me. When it slows down below 50 kts I need to give it a little gas
or the engine quits.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flight testing





David a real need for V's is an idle rpm much nearer 600 or even lower. The
difference in landing distance between an idle of 800 and 600 is astounding!

 

I actually set mine for 600-550, which is spec.  I have to be careful after
landing when the roll out slows to below 50 knots to give the throttle a
quick blip as sometimes the engine may stop, but I put up with that as it
really shortens the landing distance.

 

Scott

 

 

  _____  

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check
new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120510/4a965876
/attachment-0001.htm>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 06:33:24 -0600
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Brakes
Message-ID: <4FAD0714.1040304 at tnstaafl.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Keven,

I can't remember of hand the measurement but you can measure the thickness
of the disk to tell if you have the big disk.  As Mike said, the brake
actuator will have xt at the end if its teh new or been upgraded.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Brakes
From: Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 05/10/2012 08:35 PM

> Ahhhhh
> That's easy
>
> Thanks
> Kevin Baker
>
> .
>
> On May 10, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Mike Dawson<medawson250 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>
>> Marco 600 old, Matco 600xt newer, Cleavland upgrade even newer, Matco
upgrade to big disk, three puck calipers and associated parts....nice!
>>
>> Michael E Dawson
>> ATCI CFII
>>
>>
>> On May 10, 2012, at 7:07 PM, Kevin Baker<flykb at verizon.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> How can you tell if you have the old version or new?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Kevin
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> On May 10, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Scott Derrick<scott at tnstaafl.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>>> I upgraded both on mine, very happy.
>>>>
>>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Brakes
>>>> From: Ron VelocityXLFG<velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
>>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list<reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>> Date: 05/10/2012 09:10 AM
>>>>
>>>>> I know many people have up graded to the larger disk and upgraded
calibers.
>>>>> I was going to up grade my calipers and hold off on the larger 
>>>>> disk. I know the larger disk will reduce the fading possibility 
>>>>> but my wish is just a little more brake authority. Also to save a 
>>>>> little money for now. I can machine my own calibers.
>>>>> Has this worked out for any one?
>>>>>
>>>>> Ron
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>
>>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = 
>>>>> tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
>>>>> Check old archives: 
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
>>>> Euripides
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = 
>>>> tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check 
>>>> old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = 
>>> tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check 
>>> old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>

--
It is with our passions, as it is with fire and water, they are good
servants but bad masters.
Aesop


------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 06:34:58 -0600
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: velocity xl rg for sale
Message-ID: <4FAD0772.9050006 at tnstaafl.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120511/896c7f99
/attachment.htm>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

End of Reflector Digest, Vol 86, Issue 33
*****************************************
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Decisions- of-the-3rd-Kind final.docx
Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Size: 55487 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120511/bbd093d2/attachment-0001.docx>


More information about the Reflector mailing list