REFLECTOR: Flight testing
David Ullman
ullman at robustdecisions.com
Thu May 10 09:10:44 CDT 2012
Just an update. My woes of last week seem to be past. I found a major
vacuum leak where one of the intake manifold pipes joins the manifold.
Fixing that made the engine run much better and I have tracked the starting
issue to the starter solenoid (maybe). The starting problem has not
reoccurred, but I have a new solenoid for when it does.
In tinkering with the throttle body (fuel injection) I readjusted the
throttle to bring the idle rpm down to about 800rpm. It was over 1000 which
was clearly too high, but with the engine running rough due to the vacuum
leak, that was needed to keep it running. I still don't have all the
adjustments quite right, but getting closer.
Now with the rpm lower and much practice, my landing distances are getting
good. Yesterday I repeatedly turned off the 5000ft runway at the 2100ft
mark and the then landed on a 3500ft runway and with heavy braking, turned
off at the mid point. I am now sufficiently confident in the plane and my
ability, to venture to other near-by airports with 3000ft runways and $100
hamburgers.
This proficiency is JIT for the good weather in the NW.
Let me know if any of you are headed in the Oregon direction this summer. My
EAA section (292) is having a fly-in the week end of Aug 18-19 in
conjunction with Vans Homecoming. I am trying to get other canards to show
up to counteract the spam-can-wrong-way RVs.
Please also note that I will be in Great Lakes region in late June running
The Great Race (an antique car road rally). Sans my Velo. See
www.greatrace.com for cities, dates and other details.
David Ullman
N-444DX Velocity
EAA 292 President
david at davidullman.com
541-754-3609
1655 NW Hillcrest Dr
Corvallis OR 97330
More information about the Reflector
mailing list