REFLECTOR: Engine builder advice needed

Peter Braswell peter.braswell at gmail.com
Thu May 10 08:40:36 CDT 2012


Geoff,
I've been working with Tom Schweitz with Aero Engines of Winchester, VA.
 He's a SUPER nice guy, an ECI reseller and engine shop.  He recently built
me up an IO360 and was VERY helpful during the process.  He fully
understood that I was experimental and took that into account while we were
sorting out what I needed.  At one point he even called the factory and
spoke with John to get clarification on what exactly I needed for my SERG.

Here's his contact information.  I would give him a quick call …

*Aero Engines*. Contact Information. Contact: Tom Schwietz. Address: 615
Airport Road Ste, 109. *Winchester*, VA 22602. USA. Phone: 540-678-1661.

Good luck!
Peter

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
*Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
------------------------------------------------------------------------



On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'll try to learn more from ECI today.  They do know its for an
> experimental, but I think once the parts come in, they get broadly
> distributed thruout their plant, and the guy who handled the cam may not
> have known this, so I'll check.
>
> Being an LIO-360 cam, I'm gathering that used/serviceable ones are not as
> available, but I'll do some more scouting around to see if I can find
> something.
>
> My rebuild was going very nicely and I was looking fwd to getting all the
> shiny new and refurb'd parts back.  To be honest, the cost of this rebuild
> had surprised me so far.  Local A&P's warned me that even if I did all the
> labor it would be $10-15K.  Right now, all in I suspect it'll be ~$7.5K
> (unless I have to shell out $3.6K for a new cam).  Rough cost break down:
> $3.2K - cylinder rebuilds, $1.5K inspect/recon crank, cases, rods, $2K
> consumables (i.e. gasket kit, rod bolts, all new hardware, piston pins,
> spark plugs...), $600 fuel controller/distributor rebuild, $250 EI unit
> checkout/rebuild.
>
> A new cam would put it up over $10K, unfortunately.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Geoff
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
>
>>  Geoff,
>>
>>     As John said, more options may be available if ECI knows your are
>> experimental.
>>
>>     I would certainly call around and search the Internet for a lower
>> priced new or yellow tagged cam.  Aircraft Specialties might have a used
>> cam?
>>
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine builder advice needed
>> From: Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com><geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org><reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Date: 05/09/2012 06:11 PM
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  So, I'm rebuilding my LIO-360.  All the inner bits (case, crank, cam,
>> rods et cetera) were sent to ECI for inspection/rebuild.  I got a call
>> today that they're just about ready to ship everything back but said my cam
>> was rejected for excessive wear on two lobes that could not be polished
>> out.  There was no pitting on the cam or unusual wear marks (my observation
>> before sending it).  Because this is a "LIO" engine, cams are not very
>> popular.  After a cursory phone around, it looks like a new $3600 cam from
>> Lycoming might be my only option.
>>
>>  I've got to call ECI back tomorrow and check on this more, tho.  I
>> don't understand why they can't regrind it - is that not something that's
>> done on aircraft cams?  I see that there are companies (Aircraft Specialty
>> Services) that offer grinding for experimentals - I'm wondering if that
>> might be an option.  I've seen cams a lot worse than the one out be
>> reground (these were for Porsche engines, tho).  Is there an issue about
>> grinding/rehardening a Lycoming cam?
>>
>>  Thanks.
>>
>>  Geoff
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> --
>> Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
>> Groucho Marx
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120510/2bb2d520/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list