REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 86, Issue 8

Mark Riley the_rileys1 at verizon.net
Fri May 4 13:27:29 CDT 2012


Got mine through NAFCO.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 4, 2012, at 12:52 PM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:

> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
>    reflector at tvbf.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    reflector-request at tvbf.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    reflector-owner at tvbf.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re:  Construction loans (Kevin Baker)
>   2. Re:  Construction loans (Mark Magee)
>   3. Re:  Construction loans (Lawrence Epstein)
>   4.  drag brake and general reliability of AC equipment (David Ullman)
>   5. Re:  drag brake and general reliability of AC equipment
>      (Scott Derrick)
>   6. Re:  drag brake and general reliability of AC equipment
>      (John Dibble)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:14:19 -0500
> From: Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Cc: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Construction loans
> Message-ID: <66A55DF9-C67F-478E-9850-9BB68D9AB082 at verizon.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> I'm pretty sure NAFCO does.
> They are at https://www.airloans.com/
> 
> Thanks
> Kevin
> 
> 
> 
> .
> 
> On May 4, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Lawrence Epstein <ljepstein at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> Does anyone have any experience on obtaining financing for an unfinished project?
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 09:19:22 -0500
> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Construction loans
> Message-ID: <AE870912-6B2A-42E9-A8B5-FA81D68E9559 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset=us-ascii
> 
> Lawrence,
> If you have equity in a home I would think a home equity loan would do the trick possibly without near as much documentation and probably a better rate.
> 
> Mark B. Magee
> Sent from IPhone 4
> 
> On May 4, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Lawrence Epstein <ljepstein at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> Does anyone have any experience on obtaining financing for an unfinished project?
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 10:27:53 -0400
> From: Lawrence Epstein <ljepstein at hotmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Construction loans
> Message-ID: <BLU0-SMTP1740FDE194601A68117E35CB92C0 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
> 
> Short term is fine. Almost done and just need cash for the "big 3" (Engine,
> Prop & panel!).
> 
> Any names you can give?
> 
> Larry
> 
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Stockman, Bill <
> bill.stockman at daytonaero.com> wrote:
> 
>> There are several banks that finance homebuilts?expecially if they are
>> kits from established companies like Velocity.   ****
>> 
>> However, I found that most wanted a short term loan?five years with a
>> balloon at the end.   ****
>> 
>> They want you to hurry up and finish?otherwise they have nothing but a
>> pile of parts to repossess.****
>> 
>> ** **
>> 
>> ** **
>> 
>> Bill Stockman****
>> 
>> Senior Associate****
>> 
>> Dayton Aerospace, Inc.****
>> 
>> ** **
>> 
>> 937.426.4300  Office****
>> 
>> 937.369.4799  Cell****
>> 
>> bill.stockman at daytonaero.com****
>> 
>> www.daytonaero.com****
>> 
>> ** **
>> 
>> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
>> Behalf Of *Peter Braswell
>> *Sent:* Friday, May 04, 2012 9:32 AM
>> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Construction loans****
>> 
>> ** **
>> 
>> Lawrence,****
>> 
>> Way-back-when I financed my Glastar kit as a new purchase from the
>> factory.  Back then it was easy but times have changed and I don't know if
>> that's still the case.  I don't recall the bank that I went through but it
>> was a standard loan process with just a few aviation specific details.
>> They insisted that I reserve an N-number, produce a bill of sale and carry
>> hull, not in motion insurance.****
>> 
>> ** **
>> 
>> -Peter****
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------**
>> **
>> 
>> *"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*****
>> 
>> *Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------**
>> **
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ****
>> 
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Lawrence Epstein <ljepstein at hotmail.com>
>> wrote:****
>> 
>> Does anyone have any experience on obtaining financing for an unfinished
>> project?
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html***
>> *
>> 
>> ** **
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120504/af876ae4/attachment-0001.htm>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 08:52:54 -0700
> From: "David Ullman" <ullman at robustdecisions.com>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: drag brake and general reliability of AC equipment
> Message-ID: <089001cd2a0d$f851e330$e8f5a990$@com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="us-ascii"
> 
> I am part way through my 40 hours.  I am mainly practicing landings - trying
> to get my speed down.  At altitude I can drive around the sky at 75 kts with
> good control and the speed brake up, but seem to be fast on final.  Trying
> to get to 80kt over the numbers.  I have used the speed brake on all my
> landings to date.
> 
> On Wed I went out to fly and speed brake would not deploy.  I was still on
> the ground.  After chasing the problem I found that it is not my wiring, but
> the motor itself not working.  To get it out of the plane is major surgery.
> So, here is the question.  Do I even need the speed brake?  I know some
> people use it and some don't.  I need to consistently get in and stopped on
> 3000ft so I can move to another airport.  Can I do this without the speed
> brake? (I am learning on 5000ft, so not an issue just now).   Any words of
> wisdom are appreciated.
> 
> Also, I am having another, intermittent problem.  The day the speed brake
> failed, the engine would not start.  When I turned the key, I could hear the
> starter solenoid click, but no starter.  This has happened once before, but
> all the other times, no problem.  Both times I put a trickle charger on the
> battery (I don't usually leave it on and have a good battery.) and traced
> the problem to the solenoid.  Both times, as soon as I traced the loss of
> current to the solenoid by checking voltages, the starter miraculously
> worked.  In other words, by tracing the problem, it went away.  This doesn't
> give me a feeling of confidence.  The starter is new, the solenoid is new,
> the battery may have been a little down (I still need to check if there is
> any draw with the master is off. I don't see how there can be).  Any
> thoughts?  I am leaning toward replacing the solenoid.
> 
> While on reliability, I had a problem with my Dynon ADAHRS.  It was
> wandering all over.  It is mounted under the rear pilot-side seat.  I don't
> have the seat in yet and I made sure there was no ferrous material anywhere
> near it.  So it was the unit, not my installation of it.   They replaced it
> and all is fine.  I also just bought two autopilot servos from them.  One of
> them bound up when rotated.  They replaced that also.
> 
> All of this lack of reliability has not given me much encouragement. 
> 
> David Ullman
> N-444DX Velocity 
> EAA 292 President
> david at davidullman.com
> 541-754-3609
> 1655 NW Hillcrest Dr
> Corvallis OR 97330
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 10:25:46 -0600
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: drag brake and general reliability of AC
>    equipment
> Message-ID: <4FA4030A.8030305 at tnstaafl.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> David,
> 
> I have a speed brake and consider it a valuable tool for landing and 
> slow flight. For landing I use it unless I see that I am too low or to 
> slow when turning on to final, Otherwise I always use it turning on to 
> final.  Better visibility and shorter landings, less wear on the brakes. 
>  If your going to routinely be using a short field I would consider it 
> a required item on my checklist. Sure you can get into short fields 
> without it, but why push the envelope and extra wear on the brakes?
> 
> Not sure why your actuator would fail so soon, mines over 10 years old 
> with hundreds of cycles.  Sure its not a bad connection, these actuators 
> are tough?
> 
> I would certainly figure out your battery problem. If your battery 
> really is low after sitting a few days you either have a bad battery or 
> a drain somewhere. Easy to test with a multimeter. Put a current meter 
> in between your battery and connector.  Turn on the master switch, be 
> sure everything is else is off so your not drawing much current. Then 
> turn the master off and see if the current goes to very very close to 
> zero.  I do it this way because the sequence of power on to power off 
> can leave a relay engaged, but disconnecting the battery will disengage 
> the relay and you won't see a sticky/hung relay,
> 
> Scott
> 
> 
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: REFLECTOR: drag brake and general reliability of AC equipment
> From: David Ullman <ullman at robustdecisions.com>
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Date: 05/04/2012 09:52 AM
> 
>> I am part way through my 40 hours.  I am mainly practicing landings - trying
>> to get my speed down.  At altitude I can drive around the sky at 75 kts with
>> good control and the speed brake up, but seem to be fast on final.  Trying
>> to get to 80kt over the numbers.  I have used the speed brake on all my
>> landings to date.
>> 
>> On Wed I went out to fly and speed brake would not deploy.  I was still on
>> the ground.  After chasing the problem I found that it is not my wiring, but
>> the motor itself not working.  To get it out of the plane is major surgery.
>> So, here is the question.  Do I even need the speed brake?  I know some
>> people use it and some don't.  I need to consistently get in and stopped on
>> 3000ft so I can move to another airport.  Can I do this without the speed
>> brake? (I am learning on 5000ft, so not an issue just now).   Any words of
>> wisdom are appreciated.
>> 
>> Also, I am having another, intermittent problem.  The day the speed brake
>> failed, the engine would not start.  When I turned the key, I could hear the
>> starter solenoid click, but no starter.  This has happened once before, but
>> all the other times, no problem.  Both times I put a trickle charger on the
>> battery (I don't usually leave it on and have a good battery.) and traced
>> the problem to the solenoid.  Both times, as soon as I traced the loss of
>> current to the solenoid by checking voltages, the starter miraculously
>> worked.  In other words, by tracing the problem, it went away.  This doesn't
>> give me a feeling of confidence.  The starter is new, the solenoid is new,
>> the battery may have been a little down (I still need to check if there is
>> any draw with the master is off. I don't see how there can be).  Any
>> thoughts?  I am leaning toward replacing the solenoid.
>> 
>> While on reliability, I had a problem with my Dynon ADAHRS.  It was
>> wandering all over.  It is mounted under the rear pilot-side seat.  I don't
>> have the seat in yet and I made sure there was no ferrous material anywhere
>> near it.  So it was the unit, not my installation of it.   They replaced it
>> and all is fine.  I also just bought two autopilot servos from them.  One of
>> them bound up when rotated.  They replaced that also.
>> 
>> All of this lack of reliability has not given me much encouragement.
>> 
>> David Ullman
>> N-444DX Velocity
>> EAA 292 President
>> david at davidullman.com
>> 541-754-3609
>> 1655 NW Hillcrest Dr
>> Corvallis OR 97330
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
> 
> -- 
> There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear.
> Bible, 1 John iv. 18.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 11:54:35 -0500
> From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: drag brake and general reliability of AC
>    equipment
> Message-ID: <4FA409CB.8010104 at bluefrog.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> I have a speed brake on my SERG and rarely use it.  If I don't set up my 
> approach well and endup high on final, I might use it to salvage the 
> approach, but I could also go around.  If you're FG with wheel pants, 
> you may have more of a need for the speed brake.
> 
> I routinely land on a 2400 ft paved runway and can stop with just 
> moderate braking.  I try to get to 80 kn or less on short final, but can 
> still make it at 90 kn.  The runway has a perfect approach.  The trick 
> is to avoid coming in high.  It took me 200 hours to get to this point.  
> Rounding out 200 ft before the runway helps, if you can control well 
> enough to assure you won't touch too soon.
> 
> I had similar starting issues, especially when the engine was warm.  I 
> tried many things, but what finally worked was installing a car battery.
> 
> John
> 
> On 5/4/2012 10:52 AM, David Ullman wrote:
>> I am part way through my 40 hours.  I am mainly practicing landings - trying
>> to get my speed down.  At altitude I can drive around the sky at 75 kts with
>> good control and the speed brake up, but seem to be fast on final.  Trying
>> to get to 80kt over the numbers.  I have used the speed brake on all my
>> landings to date.
>> 
>> On Wed I went out to fly and speed brake would not deploy.  I was still on
>> the ground.  After chasing the problem I found that it is not my wiring, but
>> the motor itself not working.  To get it out of the plane is major surgery.
>> So, here is the question.  Do I even need the speed brake?  I know some
>> people use it and some don't.  I need to consistently get in and stopped on
>> 3000ft so I can move to another airport.  Can I do this without the speed
>> brake? (I am learning on 5000ft, so not an issue just now).   Any words of
>> wisdom are appreciated.
>> 
>> Also, I am having another, intermittent problem.  The day the speed brake
>> failed, the engine would not start.  When I turned the key, I could hear the
>> starter solenoid click, but no starter.  This has happened once before, but
>> all the other times, no problem.  Both times I put a trickle charger on the
>> battery (I don't usually leave it on and have a good battery.) and traced
>> the problem to the solenoid.  Both times, as soon as I traced the loss of
>> current to the solenoid by checking voltages, the starter miraculously
>> worked.  In other words, by tracing the problem, it went away.  This doesn't
>> give me a feeling of confidence.  The starter is new, the solenoid is new,
>> the battery may have been a little down (I still need to check if there is
>> any draw with the master is off. I don't see how there can be).  Any
>> thoughts?  I am leaning toward replacing the solenoid.
>> 
>> While on reliability, I had a problem with my Dynon ADAHRS.  It was
>> wandering all over.  It is mounted under the rear pilot-side seat.  I don't
>> have the seat in yet and I made sure there was no ferrous material anywhere
>> near it.  So it was the unit, not my installation of it.   They replaced it
>> and all is fine.  I also just bought two autopilot servos from them.  One of
>> them bound up when rotated.  They replaced that also.
>> 
>> All of this lack of reliability has not given me much encouragement.
>> 
>> David Ullman
>> N-444DX Velocity
>> EAA 292 President
>> david at davidullman.com
>> 541-754-3609
>> 1655 NW Hillcrest Dr
>> Corvallis OR 97330
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> 
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 86, Issue 8
> ****************************************


More information about the Reflector mailing list