REFLECTOR: Door fix resolution

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Tue May 1 08:44:53 CDT 2012


Thanks to everyone who replied.

After further investigation, it turns out my struts were too long. Once I
got shorter struts, the problem is about 90% resolved. The last 10% was
taken care of with a thin shim. The door now closes easily and doesn't
require any manual... adjusting to get it closed. :-)

Complete story here:

http://www.velocity-xl.com/blog/series/05-doors-windows/

Part number for the correct strut is 4138T549 from McMaster. Some builders
have gone with a locking strut. But instead of $15, they're about $50. It's
an easy swap, so I'll wait and see if I go that route.

Malcolm has a few brackets left that he's willing to sell for $20 a pair.
Contact him directly at hangar18cas at earthlink.net if you're interested. You
will have to reinforce the top rear of the d-tube to handle the stress of
the strut.

Also, I'm in So Cal for the next couple of days. If you're builder near
Irvine, CA, let me know. don at johnston.org

Thanks,

Don
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120501/c181a397/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list