REFLECTOR: Obtaining Repairmans Certificate - Static RPM
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Fri Mar 30 10:15:14 CDT 2012
Ah, I think I understand your confusion.
I reconfigured to two blades, three washers a few months ago just for
static ground testing, and was able to get to about 2500RPM. Last
weekend I switched to one washer. With that, I could get 2750,
occasionally surging to 2800 because of the turbo. I'm planning to
reconfigure back to three blades, three washers this weekend and do my
weight and balance.
I learned a few things with my high power ground testing last week.
Seeing the behavior in static tests with the two bladed prop, I now know
that I was boosting on the first flight, which was three washers, three
blades. The wastegate was wide open, but it still presents a
restriction causing the turbo to make just a little bit of boost.
Regardless, I think Deeter, who runs the same configuration as me can
also redline his RPM after takeoff if he doesn't dial in more pitch.
Man, that first flight three years ago was a kick in the pants. I've
never piloted an airplane that climbed (almost) to pattern altitude
before leaving the airport boundary.
On 3/30/2012 9:22 AM, John Dibble wrote:
> Brian,
>
> 2250 with 3 washers, 3 blades sounds about right. I don't understand
> how you got 3000 rpm, unless that was with turbo, in which case it may
> be better to not use turbo for T/O. You should have plenty of power
> without it. Maybe you've figured out something that I don't
> understand, but it seems like the right approach is to remove washers,
> not blades. FWIW
>
> John
>>
>>
>> I just wrote an update. With three washers, I get 2250, but I for
>> the life of me can't remember my manifold pressure. I'm strictly
>> running 28BTDC, so am losing some power there, and am also drawing
>> air through a non-boosted turbo.
>>
>> On my first flight I did see 3,000 RPM, so I don't want to remove any
>> more washers. Once I finish the development of the constant speed
>> prop controller, I may remove the extra washers.
>>
>> On 03/20/2012 11:20 AM, Laurence Coen wrote:
>>> With three blades and one washer I can get 2500 RPM static with my
>>> Franklin IVO. High speed taxi test 2600+ RPM. In testing for max
>>> cruse at 8000 ft I found a 2 KT increase from 2600 RPM to 2700 RPM
>>> and no increase at 2800 RPM. If it runs good at 2600 RPM you're golden.
>>>
>>> Larry Coen
>>> N136LC
>>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------
>>> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
>>> Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:58 AM
>>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Obtaining Repairmans Certificate - Static RPM
>>>
>>>> Brian, There's something wrong if you can't get high rpm with 3
>>>> blades. What is your fuel burn rate at idle?
>>>>
>>>> John
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list