REFLECTOR: Cooling the engine
Ron N Velocity XLFG
VelocityXL at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 28 07:19:10 CDT 2012
Did not try side dams .Will give it a try though .
----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Baker
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Cc: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling the engine
Hi Scott
Did you try to add the "side dams" to catch the spillage.
I saw a note somewhere that those helped but don't remember where I saw it.
Kevin Baker
.
On Mar 27, 2012, at 10:26, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
I posted this with attached photos and then realized the total was probably way over the list attachment size limit.
So I put all the referenced photos in this file http://tnstaafl.net/canards/cooling.zip
I also found the testing photos of the spillage of air out of the top NACA's
http://tnstaafl.net/canards/right_naca_rear.jpg
http://tnstaafl.net/canards/left_naca_rear.jpg
Scott
Ron,
I feel your pain. Been that and Done there.
I don.t think you'll get any joy from changing the 2-into-1 exhaust.
Things I did to get from barely around the pattern before exceeding redline CHT limits to comfortable cruise at 330-380- CHT temps in the summer.
1.) Extremely anal about tight plenum and cylinder baffles. no unplanned holes larger than a pencil. Be sure all you cylinder baffles are in place.
2.) Large(half to 3/4 inch high) VG's apx. 6 inches in front of your upper NACA inlets.(vg.jpg)
3.) Diverters around the exhaust exits, Air was entering the lower cowling, specially at high angles of attack, increasing the lower cowl pressure which reduced the flow through the cylinders. .(picture attached) exhaust1 is looking back at it, exhaust2 from the side, left is front.
4.) extended the NACA lip, (nacatest.jpg is testing the spillage and shape of the eventual extender, extend.jpg is the extender installed)
5.) lower cowl flap. (lowerside is a side view cowling removed. cowlrear is looking dow the business end of the cowl flap)
Scott
--
Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
Confucius
Ron Velocity XLFG wrote:
Well I have to high engine temps and I am working on reducing them.
Exhaust wrap I have read that they are good at keeps the heat out of the cowling
Bad may cause a crack in the pipes any one tried this method
with success of failure?
I have a two in to one exhaust that goes next to the oil pan .
First I was going to wrap the exhaust pipes but now I may consider
making two straight pipes out of the engine instead of the two in to one.
My hope would be cooler engine. any thoughts. I did the two in to one
with the idea of reducing engine noise but if it is adding heat it must go.
Tried a few mods to the nacas. None helped most made it worse for
cooling. I had fans to help in cooling on the ground I removed them
and it helped in the air but now I must get in the air a little more quickly now.
I was going to add a cowling flap I have heard this would help any thoughts?
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'
Christ Jesus, Mathew 15:11_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120328/007cbb0d/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list