REFLECTOR: Cooling the engine

Ron N Velocity XLFG VelocityXL at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 27 11:57:09 CDT 2012


Funny you say that I did just reduce the fuel flow a little and also increased the timing.  
She Climbs much better now . Though  this is the same time the heat wave hit Chicago
and I started having more temp issues. I hate the idea of burning more fuel $5.50 a gallon
to cool my engine.

Ron
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Doug Kanczuzewski 
  To: Ron Velocity XLFG ; Velocity Aircraft Owners andBuilders list 
  Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:26 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling the engine


  I had been struggling for awhile with high temps, tried all things myself. Exhaust wrap, ceramic coating exhaust, scoop on naca, lower cowling opening (around turbo, which helped with melting control cables), electric fan in cowling,  but how I finally got mine worked out on the IO-540 was bite the bullet and get the fuel servo output increased. More fuel flow.

   

  Doug

   

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Ron Velocity XLFG
  Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 8:57 PM
  To: reflector at tvbf.org
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Cooling the engine

   

  Well I have to high engine temps and I am working on reducing them.

   

  Exhaust wrap I have read that they are  good at keeps the heat out of the cowling 

               Bad may cause a crack in the pipes any one tried this method 

  with success of failure?

   

  I have a two in to one exhaust that goes next to the oil pan .

  First I was going to wrap the exhaust pipes but now I may consider 

  making two straight pipes out of the engine instead of the two in to one.

  My hope would be cooler engine. any thoughts. I did the two in to one

  with the idea of reducing engine noise but if it is adding heat it must go.

   

  Tried a few mods to the nacas. None helped most made it worse for 

  cooling.  I had fans to help in cooling on the ground I removed them 

  and it helped in the air but now I must get in the air  a little more quickly now.

   

  I was going to add a cowling flap I have heard this would help any thoughts?

   

   



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120327/39b3866f/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list