REFLECTOR: EFIS/WAAS GPS
Lawrence Epstein
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:54:16 CDT 2012
If you are serious about flying a lot of IFR (and don't want to spring for
the new Garmin touch screens), the "box" to get is the Garmin GNS 480 (UPS
CNX-80). It is a much better IFR box than the 430/530, fully WAAS, easy
input of flight plans (2 button input of entire airway segments) and you
can find one now for ~$5000-$6000
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Peter Braswell <peter.braswell at gmail.com>wrote:
> Kevin,
> Prior to starting my SERG, I owned and flew a Glastar for a number of
> years. I was the builder too. 275PA started life with the ill-fated Blue
> Mountain EFIS One. I was lulled into buying the unit early on the promise
> of an eventual price increase. Huge mistake! The unit sat around for 4
> years until I finished the airplane. During that period other
> manufacturers came into the marketplace with better offerings at better
> prices. The BMA unit NEVER worked properly. It had 3 trips back to the
> factory before I decided to chuck it and replace it with a a Dynon Skyview.
>
> The Dynon SkyView is hands down better than the E1. Though this is not
> hard to accomplish. I flew the SV for a little over a year before I sold
> the Glastar to fund the SERG. My GS had a 7" display with the auto pilot
> system and it worked absolutely without any issues backed up with a Dynon
> D10-A. I really miss the 2-axis auto pilot. I fully intend to install a
> similar system in my SERG. It will probably be a dual screen 10" with
> redundant ADAHRS as I intend to use the plane for IFR. Of course I'll be
> putting AP serves in also. Dynon also has an 429 interface that will talk
> to a GNS 430/530 or the new GTN series. I'm thinking about going with the
> GTN 750 but the price tag is pretty hefty.
>
> Full discloser: I'm a Dynon dealer. If you'd like to talk more about
> Dynon, happy to do that. :)
>
> Best,
> Peter
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
> *Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I was thinking about the glass panels and was wondering what others
>> experience was with these systems.
>> I'm also interested in EFIS/GPS WAAS precision approaches and folks that
>> can speak to that equipment.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kevin Baker
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120327/220c53e2/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list