REFLECTOR: fuel
steve korney
s_korney at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 10:55:05 CDT 2012
Xylene is used as a solvent and in the printing, rubber, and leather
industries. It is also used as a cleaning agent, a thinner for paint,
and in paints and varnishes. It is found in small amounts in airplane
fuel and gasoline.
Steve
From: jerry at jlbent.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:48:23 -0500
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuel
I had heard that the additve was xylene, but I can't confirm that. Just a rumor
Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com
-------Original Message-------
From: nmflyer1 at aol.com
To: medawson250 at yahoo.com, reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuel
Sent: Mar 13 '12 9:22am
Mike,
I'd like to know just what "additives" are causing the problem. If you look at the Jeffco materials data sheet, you can see that certain alcohols can be an issue.
Now I burn mostly MOGas in my Cherokee 235, and can blend my own fuel for the Velocity. That being said, I Do Not ever use MOGas with Alcohol in it. I have 2 places that I can get "clean gas" without alcohol in it. I use my 100 Gallon fuel trailer to bring it home.
I don't really see a reason why one could not burn 100LL all the time (other than cost), but I don't have the experience that others may have.
Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Dawson
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Tue, Mar 13, 2012 6:35 am
Subject: REFLECTOR: fuel
To all autoconversion builders and owners. I have been told that the additives now found in auto / mogas is eating the blue foam in our fuel tanks. Futher, rumor has it that Bill Mulroney is rebuilding his fuel tanks due to detioration of same. Apparently the molecular structure of the additives, which I do not know, are small enough to penetrate the Jeffco sealant and eat the foam. So Dave Bertram, Kurt Winkler and all others with auto conversions, what is the plan? 100LL with TCP? Untill the EPA outlaws it? Are there places to get clean auto gas?
Open to suggestions...except put a Lycoming in it.
Mike
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120313/de480ab5/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list