REFLECTOR: Aircraft data plate

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 06:52:16 CDT 2012


Hi Scott,
Info calling for "manufacturer" to make W&B change came from Orlando 
FSDO.  I did not research the subject beyond that.
The FSDO considers a W&B change a "Major Change" to the operating 
limitations.
The Ops Limits document with this aircraft requires:
*    5-hours of additional Phase-1 flight testing following a Major 
Change, and
*    the owner of the aircraft to consult with the FAA to define the 
flight test area.  The FAA has no input as to the changes to the W&B itself.
I understand that Ops Limits docs sometimes differ based on when they 
were issued and by region.
Scott B.


On 3/12/2012 10:46 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:
> I was told any owner of an experimental can do that per our operating 
> limitations.
>
> Create a new W&B with the revised new gross,  back into phase 1, fly 
> whatever hours your OL requires, mine is whatever I deem to test the 
> "major change", be it 1 or 100. Log it.  My OL does not have any 
> notification or consultation of the FAA for anything.
>
> As usual when dealing with minor or major changes to your homebuilt 
> experimental, your Operating Limitations tell it all, and they may be 
> different from my OL's.
>
> Scott, if you know of the FAR that requires the manufacturer to set 
> the gross weight, that is not in Part 43, I'd like to see it?
>
>
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aircraft data plate
> From: Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 03/12/2012 04:12 PM
>> Actually, I encountered a situation recently where a second buyer 
>> wanted to up the gross weight on his newly purchased XL from 2,700# 
>> to 2,900#.
>> Turned out to be a simple process.  The manufacturer (builder) simply 
>> makes a new W&B with the revised GTOW.
>> The aircraft goes back into Phase-1 for 5-hours of test flying.  FAA 
>> is consulted only in regards to approving a flight test area.
>> Scott B.
>>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120313/bce4d4d0/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list