REFLECTOR: NACA Air Intake and rain/water?

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Mar 11 18:23:41 CDT 2012


I also cover my plane away from home. Reduces the water intake 
substantially.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA Air Intake and rain/water?
From: Andrew Judge <ajudge at grovenetworks.com>
To: 'reflector at tvbf.org' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 03/11/2012 12:09 PM

> I always put the cover on when on the ramp. My intake is from the NACA scoops. I've flown through torrential rain before in FL. No problems with the engine.
>
> Andy
> ------Original Message------
> From: Scott Derrick
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> ReplyTo: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA Air Intake and rain/water?
> Sent: Mar 11, 2012 12:35 PM
>
> I don't feed my servo off the top naca's, but from a lower mounted ram
> air scoop. I do have a drain hole in the scoop before and after the
> filter, both at a low spot that would tend to collect fluid. I actually
> put the inside drain in after over priming caused fuel to pool in the
> scoop and a backfire caused it to catch on fire!  I put the outside
> drain in after washing the plane and noticing a pool of water before the
> filter.
>
> You should have some kind of drain in your intake if water can find its
> way from the naca's to the server while its sitting on the ramp in a
> rain.  More so you don't gulp a big slug of water when trying to start
> it. Of course if its all down hill from the naca's to your intake tubes
> you definitely want to divert the water from sitting out in the rain!
>
> I wouldn't worry about flight ingested water from rain or snow. It would
> only do you engine good!  I've heard of jets ingesting to much water but
> I've never heard of that happening to a piston engine, probably could
> but it would have to be in a hurricane to get that much water!
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: REFLECTOR:  NACA Air Intake and rain/water?
> From: Kevin Baker<flykb at verizon.net>
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Date: 03/10/2012 06:57 PM
>
>> Hi All,
>> I wanted to see if anyone had any issues with their Top NACA scoop air
>> intake with rain or water getting in the draining down to the throttle
>> body.
>> I have not flown in rain but expect I'll it'll happen and was looking
>> this setup and it looks like water could just run down the intake and
>> into the throttle body.
>> Also, if the plane was outside when it rained looked like this could
>> happen also.
>> I was wonder what other have done in this area or thoughts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kevin Baker
>> N164PS Elite FG LW
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>

-- 
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience 
of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, 
and success achieved.
Helen Keller


More information about the Reflector mailing list