REFLECTOR: NACA Air Intake and rain/water?

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 11:05:41 CDT 2012


Original Message ----- 
From: "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net>

Subject: REFLECTOR: NACA Air Intake and rain/water?

> Hi All,
> I wanted to see if anyone had any issues with their Top NACA scoop air 
> intake with rain or water getting in the draining down to the throttle 
> body.
> I have not flown in rain but expect I'll it'll happen and was looking this 
> setup and it looks like water could just run down the intake and into the 
> throttle body.
> Also, if the plane was outside when it rained looked like this could 
> happen also.
> I was wonder what other have done in this area or thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin Baker
> N164PS Elite FG LW

My Velocity has the top NACA scoops and I have flown thru severe rain
showers with no observable negative change in engine performance.  It's just 
water... engines have been purposly fed water for decades to improve 
combustion by increasing the detonation margin and promote clean burning.

Chuck Berry had it figured-out a long time ago...
***************************************************

"The rain water blowin' all under my hood,
I knew that was doin' my motor good.
....

The motor cooled down, the heat went down
And that's when I heard that highway sound.
The cadillac a-sittin' like a ton of lead
A hundred and ten a half a mile ahead.
The cadillac lookin' like it's sittin' still
And I caught Maybellene at the top of the hill. "

Chuck Berry, 'Maybellene '

****************************************************
Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ




More information about the Reflector mailing list