REFLECTOR: Engine troubles

Ron Stacey rlstacey at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 10:27:57 CST 2012


Geoff,

 

I recently overhauled my IO360B1E and went with complete new cylinder
assemblies from Air Power here in Dallas. They cost about $1,100 each but
it's a factory new set up. I got $50 each for the old cylinders. I have
about 200 hours on the engine now and its running great. 

 

Ron Stacey

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Geoff Gerhardt
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:32 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine troubles

 

Some of you might remember a few weeks ago, after taking my first taxi I did
a full run up and found my static was low.  After doing some
troubleshooting, I found a couple issues - an intake leak and a faulty
electronic ignition box.  My Light Speed ignition box is off to Klaus at
Light Speed Engineering to be fixed.

 

During the process of checking the timing/ignition, I noticed that when I
was trying to find #1 TDC by putting my thumb over the spark plug hole to
check when it was on a compression stroke, I was not feeling much pressure.
So, I recently did a compression check.  The numbers were dismal. All were
low: #1 - 10/80, #2 - 20/80, #3 - 24/80, #4 - 10/80.  All were leaking
copiously past the intake valve.  Exhaust valves sounded tight, some leakage
could be heard past the rings.  I took the intake pipe off #1 and put my
fingers behind the valve and could feel the air rushing past.  Not sure why
its so bad.  Looks like the guy who sold it to me (an A&P and Velocity
owner) is either a terrible A&P or dishonest.

 

Can someone tell me my options?  My preference would be to rebuild it myself
(I've rebuilt many engines, most recently a Porsche 911 - pretty similar!),
so I'd look forward to it.  The drawback of that is time.  I could probably
tear it down in day, but I suspect sending stuff out for inspection and
acquiring all the necessary parts might take awhile.  What are my options
for the cylinders?  Send the out for rebuild?  New?  How much $ are we
talking?

 

The other option would be to send it to a rebuilder - definitely be more
expensive, but do they have relatively quick turn around times?

 

Geoff

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120308/0bf2e7e7/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list