REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel castoring while taxiing
Andy Millin
amillin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 15:04:08 CST 2012
Brian,
The new bumper needs to be shimmed for installation. Most shims are in the
5/16" to 3/8" range.
Andy
==========================
Andy Millin
amillin at sbcglobal.net
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Brian Michalk
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:48 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel castoring while taxiing
Since we are on the subject of the nose gear bumper:
I already related to the group that I did more taxi testing this weekend. I
have two squawks to address.
The first is the draggy brakes, that is in a different thread.
The second is what I think is excessive nose gear rake. I measured the
angle of the gear, and it's at 6deg. The manual calls for 2 to 4 deg.
The symptom is that when I make a hard turn, the wheel castors to about
90deg, and with the rake, the nose drops a bit. Then, getting that wheel
back in trail to taxi straight requires some power and skill, because the
nose must be lifted back up an inch or two to get the wheel back in trail.
Does the new bumper add any thickness? The one I have came from the RRL
trainer plane, and looked fine. My plan was to add some spacers to mine to
get the rake back within limits.
Or should I even bother with this? Right now, I have zero tension on the
castoring to make it easier to taxi. This problem will get worse when I
tighten it up for first flight.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check
new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list