REFLECTOR: Breather tube

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Mar 2 14:43:18 CST 2012


Yes.  Thanks Mike.  I got a bit dyslexic on that one.

John

On 3/2/2012 2:25 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> John,
>
> You wrote: However, I'm currently loosing 3 qt/hr and I'm sure most of 
> that is already going through the combustion chamber.
>
> I hope that was a misprint and you meant one quart every three hours. 
> I have 76~78 compression on all cylinders, and burn one quart
> every four hours.
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com 
> <mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com>> wrote:
>
>     I thought about that.  However, I'm currently loosing 3 qt/hr and
>     I'm sure most of that is already going through the combustion
>     chamber.  But, as Nick pointed out, I can't plumb into the intake
>     (downstream of my carb), so I wouldn't get any benefit of reduced
>     crankcase pressure.  Plumbing upstream of the carb would increase
>     the pressure because of the effect of ram air.  Anyone know how
>     much of a pressure reduction is possible by going through the exhaust?
>
>     John
>
>
>     On 3/2/2012 1:22 PM, Grover McNair wrote:
>>
>>
>>     The only down side of venting to the intake is that some oil is
>>     burned with the intake charge. Deposits can build up in the
>>     combustion chamber. This usually only happens on older engines
>>     where the rings are worn and crankcase pressures are higher.
>>
>>     Grover
>>
>>     *From: * reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
>>     <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>
>>     [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On Behalf Of *John Dibble
>>
>>
>>     *Sent:* Friday, March 02, 2012 1:19 PM
>>     *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>>     *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Breather tube
>>
>>     I thought PCV did create a little crankcase pressure.  My 1975
>>     BMW motorcycle had that feature and they forgot to redesign the
>>     main seals for the higher pressure and I had problems with
>>     leaks.  I solved the problem by removing the PCV device and just
>>     venting to the air.  As was mentioned, the main thing is to have
>>     adequate ventilation to avoid engine oil leaks.  As your
>>     compression leak increases with age, more venting will be needed.
>>
>>     John
>>
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     To change your email address, visit
>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>     Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>     <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>     Check old archives:
>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Mike W.
> 1997 Velocity Elite RG
> Franklin /IVO Electric CS
> Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120302/db8b3f2e/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list