REFLECTOR: Breather tube

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Fri Mar 2 14:19:30 CST 2012


John which engine are you running? Do you fill up to max? I have found that if I full up to max on my 0360 I will blow out a qt. within the first hour. However if I fill to 6 qt I am good for about four hours.

From: John Dibble 
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 2:47 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Breather tube

I thought about that.  However, I'm currently loosing 3 qt/hr and I'm sure most of that is already going through the combustion chamber.  But, as Nick pointed out, I can't plumb into the intake (downstream of my carb), so I wouldn't get any benefit of reduced crankcase pressure.  Plumbing upstream of the carb would increase the pressure because of the effect of ram air.  Anyone know how much of a pressure reduction is possible by going through the exhaust?

John

On 3/2/2012 1:22 PM, Grover McNair wrote: 



  The only down side of venting to the intake is that some oil is burned with the intake charge. Deposits can build up in the combustion chamber. This usually only happens on older engines where the rings are worn and crankcase pressures are higher. 

  Grover 

    

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of John Dibble
  Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 1:19 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Breather tube 

    

  I thought PCV did create a little crankcase pressure.  My 1975 BMW motorcycle had that feature and they forgot to redesign the main seals for the higher pressure and I had problems with leaks.  I solved the problem by removing the PCV device and just venting to the air.  As was mentioned, the main thing is to have adequate ventilation to avoid engine oil leaks.  As your compression leak increases with age, more venting will be needed.

  John







--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120302/a1aa12a4/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list