REFLECTOR: Breather tube

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:59:10 CST 2012


Hi Lou,

I could not find a picture of the installation in my picture file, sooooo,
the next time I have the lower cowl off, I'll take one and send it to you.



On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Lou Stedman <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>wrote:

>   Mike do you have any pictures of your installation?
>
>  *From:* Michael Watson <mikewatsspg at gmail.com>
> *Sent:* Friday, March 02, 2012 1:15 PM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Breather tube
>
> Ruben,
>
> this is how your breather tube should be installed.
> Make sure you cut and notch the tube inside the cowl. This is standard
> practice
> in case the opening at the exit gets iced over.
>
>
>     I        I
>     I        I
>     I        I
>     I        I
>     \        I
>       \      I Cut angle inside cowl
>     I        I      I firewall
> ---I        I-----I------------------  --->  to front of aircraft
>     I        I   Bottom of fuselage
>     I        I
>      \       I
>        \     I
>          \   I
>            \ I
>
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Ruben Creus <ruben at vainneg.com> wrote:
>
>>  I had to temporarily remove the breather tube the other day to work on
>> some wiring stuff. When I place the tube back in place and looking at it,
>> I thought that as the tip of the breather tube that exits the cowling is
>> cut in a 45 degree angle, then I assumed that if I place it facing the nose
>> I guess it would have air pressure pushing into the tube. If I place it
>> facing the tail, then the air around the tube it might create low pressure
>> and therefore pushing the air out of the tube creating suction. If I place
>> it facing the wing, the air would just travel passing the tube with no
>> effect. ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> I guess all this rational also depends on the air pressure inside the
>> breather tube coming from the engine, so I did several tests, facing the
>> tube in this three positions and flying a bit. My tests concluded that when
>> the tube is facing the tail It seems I have more oil coming from it as the
>> cowling seems more oily , but is was hard to conclude as the oil leaving
>> the tube could end up how knows where. And where the tube is facing can
>> also impact where the oil will eventually go. Showing all my test were kind
>> of inconclusive. ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> So, guess the main question is that if you know what is the proper
>> positioning of the 45 degree opening, nose, side, or tail, or if it really
>> matters?****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> *Ruben G. Creus*
>>
>> Ë +1.571.215.0025****
>>
>> * ruben at vainneg.com****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Mike W.
> 1997 Velocity Elite RG
> Franklin /IVO Electric CS
> Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
>
> ------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120302/17b10883/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list