REFLECTOR: Engine back together

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 10:33:15 CDT 2012


Hylomar

That's what I used also... You can get it at your local auto parts store...


Steve 

From: grover at mcnairperformance.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:32:33 -0400
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine back together





















Robert Still of Southern Aero and I put my
Franklin
together about a 2 months ago. We did it by the book, only using sealant where
called for. Hylomar is the preferred sealant. Silk thread was applied where
called for at corners where multiple surfaces meet. My recommendation is to stick
to the book.

Grover McNair

 









From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf
Of John Dibble

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 7:50
AM

To: geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com;
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine
back together



 

Geoff,



I'm getting ready to reassemble my Franklin
engine.  Did you use silk thread on the case?  When I disassembled, I
saw no sign of any silk thread.  Did your engine have silk thread when you
disassembled?  Is it easy to spot?  A friend has recommended a
sealant used on motorcycle engines and I'm considering that.



Thanks,



John



On 6/17/2012 7:41 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote: 



Guys, 



 





Well, it took a couple months, but my engine is back
hanging on my plane.  This time completely rebuilt, all shiny and new(ish).
 For those who haven't kept up, I bought a 500hr engine that I found
needed an overhaul after first taxi.  I pulled the engine off my plane,
brought it back home, dissembled it and sent everything out for
rebuild/inspection.  A few weeks ago, everything arrived back and over the
last couple weeks I put it back together and on Friday mounted it back on the
plane.  I haven't turned it over yet, still a few things to plumb and
connect.  Should be sometime this week.





 





Anyway, I took lots of pictures during the reassembly
process and put together a pretty comprehensive post describing the process.
 Anyone considering rebuilding their Lycoming might find it useful.





http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=397 





 





Geoff





 











_______________________________________________To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 







_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120629/828ade83/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list