REFLECTOR: Engine back together

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 10:31:34 CDT 2012


Hi John...

If you use a case sealer, then make sure you clean the inside edge of the case as not to let any of the sealer get squeezed into the case upon assembly.... Any of the sealer that gets into the case can cause blockage in small oil gallery's.... From a Lycoming Engineer....


Steve 

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:50:26 -0500
From: aminetech at bluefrog.com
To: geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com; reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine back together


  
    
  
  
    Geoff,

    

    I'm getting ready to reassemble my Franklin engine.  Did you use
    silk thread on the case?  When I disassembled, I saw no sign of any
    silk thread.  Did your engine have silk thread when you
    disassembled?  Is it easy to spot?  A friend has recommended a
    sealant used on motorcycle engines and I'm considering that.

    

    Thanks,

    

    John

    

    On 6/17/2012 7:41 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
    
      
      Guys,
      

      
      Well, it took a couple months, but my engine is back hanging
        on my plane.  This time completely rebuilt, all shiny and
        new(ish).  For those who haven't kept up, I bought a 500hr
        engine that I found needed an overhaul after first taxi.  I
        pulled the engine off my plane, brought it back
        home, dissembled it and sent everything out for
        rebuild/inspection.  A few weeks ago, everything arrived back
        and over the last couple weeks I put it back together and on
        Friday mounted it back on the plane.  I haven't turned it over
        yet, still a few things to plumb and connect.  Should be
        sometime this week.
      

      
      Anyway, I took lots of pictures during the reassembly process
        and put together a pretty comprehensive post describing the
        process.  Anyone considering rebuilding their Lycoming might
        find it useful.
      http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=397
      
      

      
      Geoff
      

      
      

      
      

      _______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    
    

  


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120629/20b213a0/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list