REFLECTOR: Main Gear Doors

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Mon Jun 25 23:06:23 CDT 2012


Tom,

You will not get any water on any wires. The only place the water could go on an SERG is in the keel. With just slightly elevating the nose and that water will exit the hole for the fuel sump. While flying the water will go out the fuel sump. 

When you are done with the aircraft you will want to seal the two channels on the back side of the firewall so no water in the cowling can get into either channel. 

I used the flexible expanding foam from home depot:

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 8779 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120626/a57f96be/attachment.jpeg>
-------------- next part --------------


Richard

Sent from my iPhone 4 Classic

On Jun 25, 2012, at 9:39 PM, Tom Falls <tomfalls6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Alex. Maybe it's different for an XL but I'm pretty sure in my SERG the floor between the fire wall and gear bulkhead slopes toward the front. Meaning the fuel vent hole forward of the fire wall won't see much if any of the water that gets into that area. Appropriately located dams sound like a good idea. Especially to keep the water out of the wire ducts.
> 
> Tom
> 
> 
> On Jun 25, 2012, at 9:00 PM, "Alex Balic" <velocity_pilot at verizon.net> wrote:
> 
>> I will look at mine too Tom- you might want to see about installing some dam
>> system in there to help collect the water for the drain.
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>> Behalf Of Tom Falls
>> Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 5:23 PM
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Doors
>> 
>> Alex,
>> 
>> My plane is upside down so it's a little difficult for me to determine how
>> water would flow from the gear openings but, I think your right. It will be
>> trapped between the fire wall and gear bulkhead. However it may get into the
>> wire ducts thru the hole for the brake lines and then run forward from
>> there.
>> 
>> What ever gets past the wire ducts looks like it will accumulate at the gear
>> bulkhead and not near the fuel vent. I think I'll put a small weep hole
>> centered behind the gear bulkhead to keep that area drained. Must also
>> remember to keep the floor in that area clear of electrical equipment.
>> 
>> Tom
>> 
>> On Jun 25, 2012, at 12:26 PM, "Alex Balic" <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> I will have to check, but I believe that the gear opening area 
>>> connects to the area that the vent line penetrates the belly so the 
>>> water would drain there, not sure if you would see any water in there 
>>> die to the location and air flow during flight- washing with a hose 
>>> might be another story though....


More information about the Reflector mailing list