REFLECTOR: Continental Starter Adapters

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:36:57 CDT 2012


Pretty common problem with that Engine/Starter/Adapter. Seems we work on
that adapter every 300-400 hours in the Bonanza.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the input Scott.  We'll see what happens with the oil change.
>  I'm using the standard TCM starter.  It is very heavy and kinda looks like
> a coffee can.  Part #646238.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
>
> Brooke
>
>
> *From: *Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com>
> *Subject: **Re: REFLECTOR: Continental Starter Adapters*
> *Date: *June 25, 2012 5:08:31 PM EDT
> *To: *Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Reply-To: *Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org
> >
>
>
> Brooke,
> The problem you describe is associated with the TCM starter adapter.  It
> is a common problem with the Continental IO-550N. The Continental factory
> knows all about it - and the fact that it is caused by a bad design - yet
> they choose to do nothing to correct the problem.  Through experimentation,
> Velocity found that the old style "coffee can" size starter seemed to work
> better with the starter adapter - and has a longer life span that the high
> torque lightweight starter that is featured on most IO-550N engines.  There
> are several shops that specialize in overhauling adapters (check
> Trade-a-Plane) and Niagra Air Parts makes an aftermarket adapter
> http://www.niagaraairparts.com/.
> Comments regarding Camguard sound logical.  I think I would try oil
> without Camguard to see if this solves the adapter problem.
> Scott B.
>
> On 6/25/2012 12:39 PM, Brooke Wolf wrote:
>
> Does anybody have any experience with TCM starter adapters?  I have a TCM
> IO-550N engine with 145 hrs since major overhaul.  Suddenly, at about 130
> hrs and an unknown number of starts I started getting a growling noise when
> I engaged the starter.  Initially the prop would not turn.  Upon
> reengagement, the prop would turn in a herky-jerky fashion but would start
> normally.
>
>
> My local AI thought it was a slipping clutch on the starter adapter.
>   After a couple of phone calls with my engine rebuilder and Niagra Air
> Parts, I determined the problem could be with either the starter or starter
> adapter.  I sent both to my engine rebuilder for analysis.  They said the
> starter was OK, but the adapter was out of specs.  They sent me a rebuilt
> one (partially under warranty).  I reinstalled both and, no change.  Still
> a herky-jerky prop movement.  Now, I'm thinking maybe it's the starter.  I
> talked to the engine rebuilder and he said they only did a cursory check on
> the starter and they weren't set up to do a in-depth analysis.  The starter
> was one that was rebuilt by Aerotech, a company that I have very little
> faith in.  I decided to send it off to Aircraft Systems, Inc, a company
> that impresses me with their craftsmanship and attention to detail.  They
> bench tested it and found that its current draw was  barely within limits
> on the high side.  They took i!
>
>  t apart and found that the through bolts were grounding out to the field
> coil and there were some burn marks.  They replaced the field coil and
> brushes, (actually insulated the through bolts!) and sent it back to me.
>
>
> The starter does turn better but I still have the herby-jerky prop
> indicating a slipping starter adapter clutch.  Now I am irritated!  I paid
> good money for a rebuilt adapter and they send me a bum one!  Well, my next
> step is to send the adapter to Niagra Air Parts.  To my knowledge, they are
> THE experts in TCM adapters.  I had a nice discussion with them on the
> phone this morning and we had just about decided to send the adapter to
> them for inspection and possible rebuild to the tune of $1200.  Just before
> we were about to hang up, the Aircraft Systems lady asked if I was using
> any oil additives.  I said yes, I was using Camguard.  She said "Thats the
> problem!"  It appears that cam guard is too good in reducing friction and
> as such will cause a slipping starter adapter clutch.  She said they have
> had multiple issues with this, and an oil change, without camguard, usually
> solves the problem.
>
>
> So, my question is this Ya'll:  Has anybody else had issues like these?
>  What was your experience?  Any thoughts on camguard?  I guess one other
> piece of information I should add is that I use Exxon Elite 20-50 oil.
>
>
> Sorry for the long post!
>
>
> Brooke
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
>
>
>
> *
> *
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120625/6cd23d91/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list